The MacBook Air is a line of laptop computers developed and manufactured by Apple Inc. It consists of a full-size keyboard, a machined aluminum case, and a thin light structure. The Air was originally positioned as a premium ultraportable positioned above the previous MacBook line. Since then, the Air has become Apple’s entry-level laptop due to the original MacBook’s discontinuation in 2011, as well as lowered prices on subsequent iterations. In the current product line, the MacBook Air sits below the performance range MacBook Pro.
The MacBook Air was introduced in January 2008 with a 13.3-inch screen, and was promoted as the world’s thinnest notebook. Apple released a second generation MacBook Air in October 2010, with a redesigned tapered chassis, standard solid-state storage, and added a smaller 11.6-inch version. Later revisions added Intel Core i5 or i7 processors and Thunderbolt. The third generation was released in October 2018, with reduced dimensions, a Retina display, and uses combination USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 ports for data and power.
MacBook Air (Retina, 13-inch, 2020) – Technical Specifications
- Space Gray
- Retina display
- 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1600 native resolution at 227 pixels per inch with support for millions of colors
- Supported scaled resolutions:
- 1680 by 1050
- 1440 by 900
- 1024 by 640
- 16:10 aspect ratio
- True Tone technology
- Touch ID sensor
- 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i3, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz, with 4MB L3 cache
Configurable to 1.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz, with 6MB L3 cache; or 1.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, with 8MB L3 cache
- 256GB PCIe-based SSD
Configurable to 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB SSD
- 8GB of 3733MHz LPDDR4X onboard memory
Configurable to 16GB of memory
Battery and Power2
- Up to 11 hours wireless web
- Up to 12 hours Apple TV app movie playback
- Up to 30 days of standby time
- Built-in 49.9‑watt‑hour lithium‑polymer battery
- 30W USB-C Power Adapter; USB-C power port
Size and Weight
- Height: 0.16–0.63 inch (0.41–1.61 cm)
- Width: 11.97 inches (30.41 cm)
- Depth: 8.36 inches (21.24 cm)
- Weight: 2.8 pounds (1.29 kg)3
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics
- Support for Thunderbolt 3–enabled external graphics processors (eGPUs)
Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:
- One external 6K display with 6016-by-3384 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
- One external 5K display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
- Up to two external 4K displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors
Thunderbolt 3 digital video output
- Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
- VGA, HDMI, and Thunderbolt 2 output using adapters (sold separately)
- 720p FaceTime HD camera
Charging and Expansion
Two Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports with support for:
- Thunderbolt (up to 40 Gb/s)
- USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gb/s)
- 802.11ac Wi-Fi wireless networking; IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n compatible
- Bluetooth 5.0 wireless technology
- Stereo speakers
- Wide stereo sound
- Support for Dolby Atmos playback
- Three-mic array with directional beamforming
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
Keyboard and Trackpad
- Backlit Magic Keyboard with:
- 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys in an inverted-T arrangement
- Ambient light sensor
- Force Touch trackpad for precise cursor control and pressure-sensing capabilities; enables Force clicks, accelerators, pressure-sensitive drawing, and Multi-Touch gestures
Electrical and Operating Requirements
- Line voltage: 100 to 240V AC
- Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
- Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
- Storage temperature: −13° to 113° F (−25° to 45° C)
- Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
- Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet
- Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
- Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet
macOS is the operating system that powers every Mac. macOS Catalina gives you more of everything you love about Mac. So you can take everything you do above and beyond.
Accessibility features help people with disabilities get the most out of their new MacBook Air. With built-in support for vision, hearing, physical and motor skills, and learning and literacy, you can create and do amazing things. Learn more
- Voice Control
- Increase Contrast
- Reduce Motion
- Siri and Dictation
- Switch Control
- Closed Captions
- Text to Speech
- Voice Memos
- Photo Booth
- App Store
- Time Machine
- Find My
- QuickTime Player
In the Box
- MacBook Air
- 30W USB-C Power Adapter
- USB-C Charge Cable (2 m)
Configure to Order
Configure your MacBook Air with these options, only at apple.com:
- 1.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz, with 6MB L3 cache
- 1.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz, with 8MB L3 cache
- 16GB of 3733MHz LPDDR4X memory
- 512GB, 1TB, or 2TB SSD
MacBook Air and the Environment
Apple takes a complete product life cycle approach to determining our environmental impact. Learn more
MacBook Air is designed with the following features to reduce its environmental impact:
- Mercury-free display
- Arsenic-free display glass
- 100% recycled aluminum enclosure6
- Meets ENERGY STAR requirements
Apple and the Environment
Read our Product Environmental Reports for detailed information on the environmental performance of every Apple product.
Declared noise emission values in accordance with ECMA-109
|Sound Power Level|
L W A,m (B)
|Sound Pressure Level|
L p A,m (dB)
|Idle||1.3 (K v = 0.3)||4|
|Wireless web||1.3 (K v = 0.3)||3|
- L W A,m is the mean A-weighted sound power level, rounded to the nearest 0.1 B.
- L p A,m is the mean A-weighted sound pressure level measured at the operator position (rounded to the nearest 1 dB).
- 1 B (bel) = 10 dB (decibel)
- K v is the statistical adder for computing upper-limit of A-weighted sound power level.
- The quantity, L W A,c (formerly called L W Ad) may be computed from the sum of L W A,m and K v .
- The Wireless web test browses 25 popular websites.
- Configuration tested: 1.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB memory, 500GB storage, Intel Iris Plus Graphics.
- 1GB = 1 billion bytes and 1TB = 1 trillion bytes; actual formatted capacity less.
- Testing conducted by Apple in February 2020 using preproduction 1.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i3-based MacBook Air systems with8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The Apple TV app movie playback test measures battery life by playing back HD 1080p content with display brightness set to 12 clicks from bottom or 75%. The standby test measures battery life by allowing a system, connected to a wireless network and signed in to an iCloud account, to enter standby mode with Safari and Mail applications launched and all system settings left at default. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See apple.com/batteries for more information.
- Weight varies by configuration and manufacturing process.
- iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are available on the Mac App Store. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID and a device that is compatible with the OS version required for each app.
- PVC-free AC power cord available in all regions except India and South Korea.
- Recycled material claim applies to the enclosure and is based on auditing done by UL LLC.