The Vatican City is an ecclesiastical or sacerdotal–monarchical state (a type of theocracy) ruled by the pope who is the bishop of Rome and head of the Catholic Church. The highest state functionaries are all Catholic clergy of various national origins. Since the return of the popes from Avignon in 1377, they have generally resided at the Apostolic Palace within what is now Vatican City, although at times residing instead in the Quirinal Palace in Rome or elsewhere. List of Vatican City newspapers
The Holy See dates back to early Christianity, and is the primate episcopal see of the Catholic Church, with 1.3 billion Catholic Christians around the world distributed in the Latin Church and 23 Eastern Catholic Churches. The independent Vatican City-state, on the other hand, came into existence on 11 February 1929 by the Lateran Treaty between the Holy See and Italy, which spoke of it as a new creation, not as a vestige of the much larger Papal States (756–1870), which had previously encompassed much of central Italy.
Within the Vatican City are religious and cultural sites such as St. Peter’s Basilica, the Sistine Chapel, and the Vatican Museums. They feature some of the world’s most famous paintings and sculptures. The unique economy of Vatican City is supported financially by the sale of postage stamps and souvenirs, fees for admission to museums, and sales of publications.
Vatican City Newspapers Online
List of Vatican City newspapers, magazines, and news sites featuring sports, entertainments, history, jobs, education, festivals, tourism, lifestyles, travel, fashion, and business.
Vatican City newspapers, magazines, and news sites
- L’Osservatore Romano (The Roman Observer)The newspaper published in nine different languages, daily newspaper in Italian, Weekly in English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Malayalam and Monthly in Polish. The newspaper distributed over 129 countries. The newspaper was founded in Rome on 1 July 1861 and owned by the Holy See.
- Vatican Information Service
- BBC News – Vatican country profile
- Vatican City – Wikipedia
- Inside the Vatican
- Vatican News
- Vatican Insider
List of Roman Catholic newspapers
- Chicago CatholicA biweekly newspaper for the Archdiocese of Chicago and serving Catholics throughout Cook and Lake counties of Illinois.
- Catholic SpiritPublication of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul and Minneapolis.
- Catholic ReviewLeading biweekly newspaper based in Baltimore, covering most of the state.
- Catholic StandardOfficial weekly publication for the Archdiocese of Washington.
- Catholic Standard & Times (Philadelphia)
- Catholic TelegraphWeekly broadsheet format newspaper published by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, Ohio. Founded in 1831, the Catholic Telegraph is one of the oldest Catholic diocesan newspapers published in the United States.
- Catholic Life (La Crosse, Wisconsin)
- Catholic Worker Movement (New York City)
- Eastern Oklahoma CatholicBiweekly newspaper published by the Diocese of Tulsa.
- Florida CatholicOfficial newspaper for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Miami and the dioceses of Orlando, Venice, and Palm Beach.
- Hawaii Catholic HeraldOfficial newspaper of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu.
- The LeavenOfficial newspaper for the Archdiocese of Kansas City in Kansas.
- PilotOfficial newspaper of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston.
- Pittsburgh CatholicOfficial newspaper of the Diocese of Pittsburgh.
- Remnant (Forest Lake, MN)
- Sooner CatholicNewspaper published by the Archdiocese of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
- Tablet (Diocese of Brooklyn, NY)
- TidingsSouthern California’s catholic weekly published by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles.
- Wanderer (Saint Paul, Minnesota)