Malawi has thirteen higher education institutions, of which two are publicly funded. All higher education in Malawi is ultimately controlled by the University of Malawi, which was founded in 1964. Access to higher education is based on passing the Malawi Certificate of Education (MCE). A student must earn at least five credits, including English.
As a means to assist the promotion and further development of education in the country, Malawi government aims to pay severe attention to Education, Science and Technology across all universities in the region. Tertiary education includes schooling at Universities, Teacher Training Colleges and Technical Education Colleges. Formal education at all the three levels is offered by different groups including Government, Non-Governmental, and private organisations.
University of Malawi
The University of Malawi is an educational institution established in 1964 and composed of five constituent colleges located in Zomba, Blantyre, and Lilongwe. The University of Malawi strives to advance knowledge, promote wisdom and understanding and provide services by engaging in teaching and research and by facilitating the dissemination, promotion, and preservation of learning responsive to the needs of Malawi and the world.
The Malawi University of Science and Technology
The Malawi University of Science and Technology was established in 2012 and comprises three functional areas: teaching and learning area, sports area and living service area. The Malawi University of Science and Technology aims to provide a conducive environment for quality education, training, research, entrepreneurship and outreach to facilitate economic growth in Malawi and beyond.
Lilongwe University of Agriculture & Natural Resources
Lilongwe University of Agriculture & Natural Resources aims to advance knowledge and produce relevant graduates with entrepreneurship skills for agricultural growth, food security, wealth creation and sustainable natural resources management, through teaching, training, research, outreach consultancy and sound management.
The aim of Exploits University is to produce and distribute knowledge and preserve learning by engaging in such university education, research and consultancy services as is responsible to the needs of Malawi and the world. Exploits University aims to be a world class academic institution of higher learning providing educational programs, research, community outreach programs and consultancy services for the economic development of Malawi and beyond.
Catholic University of Malawi
The Catholic University of Malawi is located in Montfort campus in Limbe, Malawi. Established in 2004, the university was opened in 2006, by then it composed of faculty of social science and education.
Malawi Adventist University
The Malawi Adventist University is an affiliated University of the Seventh-day Adventist Church situated in Ntcheu District in Malawi. It offers four year degree programmes of the University of Eastern Africa, Baraton. Malawi Adventist University is a university of choice that fosters high academic and ethical standards.
- Africa University of Guidance, Counselling and Youth Development
- African Bible College University
- Blantyre International University
- Catholic University of Malawi
- Central Christian University
- Columbia Commonwealth University/Malawi
- Daeyang University
- DMI – St John the Baptist University
- Exploits University
- Malawi Adventist University
- Millennium University
- Malawi Assemblies of God University
- Nkhoma University
- Pentecostal Life University
- ShareWORLD Open University
- Skyway University
- St. John of God College of Health Sciences
- Unicaf University
- University of Livingstonia
- Riverton University
- Lake Malawi University
There are four public universities in Malawi namely:
- Mzuzu University
- Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Malawi University of Science and Technology and
- University of Malawi has the following constituent colleges:
- Chancellor College
- College of Medicine
- Kamuzu College of Nursing
- The Polytechnic
- Malawi College of Accountancy
- National College of Information and Technology
- Malamulo College of Health Sciences
- Malawi Institute of Journalism
- Soche Technical College: Soche Technical College formerly known as the Artisan training Centre is the oldest government Technical Institution in Malawi. Sochi Technical college was established in 1956 after the Legislative council for the government passed a bill to initiative Technical education. Currently located in the commercial centre of Blantyre, the College can boast of four departments namely; Commercial, Construction, Automobile Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering. The program range offered at the college; Automobile engineering, Banking, Welding and Fabrication, Business Management, Upholstery, Financial Accounting, Textile & Pattern design, Community Development, Electrical Installations, Painting & Decorating, Plumbing, Electrical Installation, General Fitting, Wood machining, Refrigeration, Electrical, and Electronic Engineering etc.
- Lilongwe Technical College
- Salima Technical College
- Malawi College of Health Sciences
- Mwimba College of Agriculture
- Mikolongwe College of Veterinary Science
- Nasawa Technical College
- Ekwendeni College of Nursing
- Mulanje Mission College of Nursing
- Trinity College of Nursing
- St Luke College of Nursing
- Holy Family College of Nursing
- St Johns Nursing School
- St Johns College of Nursing
- Don Bosco Youth Technical Institute
- Andiamo Technical College
- Mzuzu Technical College
- Machinga Teachers Training College
- Domasi College of Education
- Lilongwe Teachers Training School Four departments namely, Commercial, Automobile, Construction, and Engineering. Awards both Certificates and Diplomas. The college currently has a student population of 3749 made up of 2143 male students and 1605 female students.
- Nalikule Teachers Training School
- DAPP Amalika Teachers Training School
- DAPP Dowa Teachers Training School
- DAPP Chilangoma Teachers Training College
- Emmanuel Teacher Training School
- Andiamo Technical College