Education in India has come a long way and students from the country’s best schools have gone on to make their mark in some of the most prestigious colleges and universities around the world.
Schools in India have been providing a world-class education for young minds and helping them develop academically and socially, and in becoming global citizens. Here is a look at the top schools in India.
List Of 25 Best Schools In India:
1. St. Xavier’s Collegiate School, Kolkata:
Considered to be one of the best schools in India, St. Xavier’s Collegiate is a private English-medium school for boys. It was started by the Jesuits in 1860 to impart education to Catholic boys. Now, the school grants admission to students irrespective of their religion, caste or creed.
- St. Xavier’s Collegiate School is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE), which conducts the ISCE and ISC examinations in classes X and XII respectively. It also offers the West Bengal Board of Secondary Education curriculum, which conducts the Madhyamik exams after class X.
- Students can choose one of the two curricula for the secondary and higher secondary examinations up to the class X. Classes are held for ICSE and ISC boards from classes XI and XII, as the number of students opting for the West Bengal board is lower.
- The school organises extra-curricular activities such as elocution, debate, quiz, scouts and guides, photography, film screenings and sports including football, cricket, track and field, hockey, badminton and table tennis.
- The school also has a computer club, nature club, and a social service committee.
- St. Xavier’s Collegiate has two school buildings, one for the primary section (KG to class V) and another for the secondary section (classes VI to XII).
- The school has a library, science laboratories, computer labs and playground.
30, Mother Teresa Sarani,
Kolkata 700 016.
2. La Martiniere For Girls School, Kolkata:
One of the most well-known schools in India, La Martiniere For Girls School has earned a reputation for excellence in the field of academics as well as extracurricular activities. The school focuses on the all-round development of each child and works towards making them responsible citizens.
- The school follows the ICSE and ISC curriculum.
- La Martiniere blends global education with strong local roots. The students are taught to think internationally as well as uphold their rich cultural heritage.
- The school ensures that academics and extracurricular activities go hand in hand, allowing for overall growth of the students. The extracurricular activities are organised through clubs including Bible Club, Easel Club, Science Club, Computer Club, Nature Club, Quiz Club, Safety Patrol, Drishti Club, Abhigyan Club and more.
- Sports activities include football, basketball, lawn tennis, swimming, golf and table tennis.
- La Martiniere For Girls offers excellent facilities including science laboratories, mathematics lab, geography lab, computer lab and resource room.
- The school also has a library, student counselling room, audio visual room and art room.
- There are also two spacious auditoriums, swimming pool, gymnasium, basketball court and a large playground.
14, Rawdon Street, Kolkata – 700 017.
3. The Doon School, Dehradun:
Established in 1935, The Doon School is one of the finest schools in India. It strives to develop leadership in each student through its curriculum as well as societies, clubs and sports teams.
- The Doon School has developed its own curriculum, which is creative and intellectually rigorous for the D and C forms.
- For B and A forms, the school offers the CISCE examinations.
- For S and SC forms, the school offers the Indian School Certificate (ISC) examination and the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma. Constant practice is required here and it aims at improving students’ analytical skills along with numerical abilities. The IB Diploma Programme (DP) is a balanced education and academically challenging programme that prepares students for success at university and life beyond.
- The Doon School has an Art and Media School, a 25,000 square foot building with an Apple Mac studio, a film studio, an auditorium as well as museum spaces, a reading room and a trophy room.
- It also has The Careers Information, Education and Guidance Department with its own office in the Art and Media Center. Its library consists of hard copy and digital resources for both students and teachers to use for research.
- Other facilities include the The Kilachand Library, the school’s amphitheatre The Rose Bowl, The Music School, science department with a museum, shooting range, wellness center and indoor and outdoor sports facilities.
Mall Road, Dehradun 248001.
4. Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul International School, Hyderabad
Established in the year 1994, Shree Swaminarayan Gurukul International School is a residential boys-only school and offers day boarding facility, too.
- Affiliated to CBSE, this school offers classes from I to XII.
- The school has international playgrounds and lush green campus which is spread over 35 acres.
- The Framework of Gurukul Education is based on three principal aspects: Vidya- Modern Education, Sadvidya- Traditional Education and Brahmavidya- Spiritual Education.
- It has well-equipped science labs, computer lab, and spacious classrooms.
- The school has a medical room for emergencies and regular health care.
R. R. District, Moinabad Mandal,
Hyderabad, Telangana – 500075
[ Read: Best Schools In Banglore ]
5. Little Flower High School, Hyderabad:
Established in July 1953, Little Flower High School provides holistic education to meet the needs of the individual and the society.
- The school follows the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) curriculum. It imparts education in English and provides Telugu and Hindi as options for first and second languages.
- The school aims at an education which is person-oriented, professional or work-oriented and social and culture-related. It imparts education with an international outlook and aims at achieving Universal Brotherhood.
- It has a vibrant curriculum due to the students’ active involvement in experiments, project work, and other assignment works.
- The school provides a library to both its primary school and high school sections.
- It has computer and language labs, digital library, art and craft rooms, audio visual room and auditorium.
- Other facilities include a gymnasium, volleyball courts, basketball courts, cricket pitch, and indoor badminton courts.
Chirag Ali Lane, Abids, Hyderabad 500001.
6. Mother’s International, Delhi:
The Mother’s International School has been ranked as one of the top 10 schools in India and is an establishment of the Sri Aurobindo Education Society which is an agency of the Sri Aurobindo Ashram.
- The school is affiliated to the CBSE and also offers All India Senior School Certificate Examination and All India Secondary School Examination.
- It implements the 10+2 Scheme of Education.
- Mother’s International is recognized by the Directorate of Education, Delhi, and also as a social institution.
- The school building is divided into two blocks – one for the junior section (comprised of pre-primary and primary classes) and one for the senior section (middle and senior classes).
- For the primary section, the facilities provided include a children’s park, math lab, computer science lab, library, Montessori room, activity room, two art and craft rooms, dance and music halls, pottery lab, yoga room and assembly hall.
- For the junior section, the school has two labs each for biology, chemistry and physics, home science lab, Comprehensive Technology Centre, library, audio-visual Hall, two art and craft rooms, dance hall, yoga room and Batik lab.
Sri Aurobindo Marg, New Delhi – 110016
7. Bombay Scottish School, Mumbai:
Popularly known as Scottish, the Bombay Scottish School (BSS) is a private, co-educational day school established in 1847. It has been ranked one of the top ten schools in India for the past 80 decades and one of the most prestigious educational institutions in Mumbai.
- The school is affiliated to the CISCE, New Delhi, which conducts the ICSE examination at the close of class X and the ISC examination in class XII.
- Integral to the curriculum are a variety of activities that provide each student an opportunity for the development of a wholesome personality.
- The school offers the Advanced Placement Programme which is affiliated to the College Board in the US.
- There are two libraries in the school: one is spacious over 20,000 books, housed in the heritage wing. The other is a smaller library accessible to the senior students housed in the east wing. Computers with restricted internet access have been recently installed in both the libraries.
- The school has state-of-the-art laboratories for Chemistry, Physics and Biology, where students carry out their practical work. These laboratories are equipped with interactive digital boards.
- There are two air-conditioned computer labs equipped with advanced computers, accessible to students from classes V to X. There is a third lab for the primary section and robotics classes.
153, Swatantrya Veer Savarkar Marg,
Mahim West, Mumbai 400016.
8. St. John’s High School, Chandigarh:
Founded in 1959 by the Congregation of Christian Brothers, the school is an Edmund Rice Educational Institute. St. John’s High School has been the best school in the tri-city for the years 2013, 2014, 2015.
- This institute follows the CBSE curriculum and is recognized by Chandigarh Education Department. • The Creative Learning Integrated Programme (CLIP) offered by the school encourages creativity and adventure among students.
- The school has introduced lesson and worksheet booklets and quarterly interdisciplinary books to replace books in classes. This has helped students develop an interdisciplinary approach towards education.
- The school houses a multimedia room and two large computer labs. It was awarded the National Computer Literacy Award in the category of private schools for excellence in computer literacy and IT in school at an early stage of schooling, by the Ministry of Information and Technology.
- St. John’s High School houses a literary club that is designed to encourage its budding authors and poets.
- There are three well-equipped, well-lit and airy maths and science labs accessible for students from classes VI to XII.
- Other facilities include a music room, learning centre for junior section, counselling cell for seniors, and also the science club, aerospace club, the tech club (robotics), drama club, the dance club, chef club, and the photography club.
Sector 26, Chandigarh 160019.
[ Read: 19 Best Schools in Chandigarh ]
9. Sainik School, Ghorakhal:
Established in 1966, Sainik School Ghorakhal is located near Nainital. It is a boys-only school and one of the first Sainik Schools to be established in India. The idea behind Sainik Schools is to prepare young boys for selection in the National Defence Academy.
- This English medium school is affiliated to CBSE.
- It offers classes from VI to XII for boys aged 10 to 18.
- The school is spread over a 477-acre campus and has four basketball courts, three volleyball courts, two football fields, and one hockey ground and tennis court and a multi-purpose stadium which is under construction.
- It has a temperature-controlled swimming pool, gymnasium and an auditorium which can accommodate 600 members in the audience.
- It has a 20-bed infirmary for the student’s health and medical checkup.
Sainik School Ghorakhal
Nainital (Uttarakhand) – 263156
10. Modern School, Barakhamba Road, Delhi:
Founded in 1920, Modern School is a co-educational, independent, day and boarding school. It fosters internationalism and is one of the founding members of the CDLS (Community Development and Leadership Summit).
- The school is affiliated to the CBSE. Students prepare for the All India Secondary School Exams (class X) and the All India Secondary School Certificate Examination (class XII).
- It is a member of the National Progressive Schools’ Conference (NPSC) and also of the Indian Public Schools’ Conference (IPSC).
- Its curriculum includes all the three streams Science, Commerce and Humanities.
- The Junior Library is well-stocked with a wide selection of books on all subjects ranging from dinosaurs to math puzzles and story books such as the Famous Five and the Amar Chitra Katha.
- The Lala Pratap Singh Library is the senior library, situated in the Platinum Jubilee Block of the school. The library organizes the Annual Book Week every year. Its goal is to enhance students’ reading habits.
- The school provides facilities for sports such as football, swimming, basketball and badminton.
Barakhamba Road, New Delhi – 110001.
11. Greenwood International High School, Bangalore:
Established in 2004, Greenwood High is an international day-cum-boarding school that is reputed to be one of the best in India. It is the only international school in Bangalore to have received seven national awards.
- Greenwood High follows International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE), International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP), and ICSE curricula.
- The school has a futuristic curriculum that puts equal emphasis on academics and personality development.
- It provides complete care, emphasizing on the all-round development of the student.
- The school has a well-stocked library with books, magazines and CDs that cover a range of subjects and topics across 20,000 book titles.
- There are two multimedia rooms with a television, an overhead projector and DVD players to conduct audio-visual classes.
- The school offers excellent state-of-the-art lab facilities for Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Students are encouraged to conduct various experiments for thorough understanding of the lessons taught in the theory class.
- All the five computer labs, library and administration blocks have state-of-the-art computers with LCD monitors.
- Wi-Fi facility is available 24/7 for students and teachers.
- Facilities are available for sports activities such as football, basketball, tennis and volleyball.
No.8-14, Chikkawadayarapura, Near Heggondahalli,
Gunjur Post, Varthur Sarjapur Road, Bangalore 560087.
12. Emerald Heights International School, Indore:
Established in 1982, Emerald Heights is Madhya Pradesh’s first international, co-educational English medium school with residential facility. Since its establishment, the students of the school have made their mark in both academics and sports.
- The schools follow the CBSE, Cambridge International Examination (CIE), American Field Services (AFS), International Award for Young people (IAYP), Global Young Group (GYG) curricula.
- It is also affiliated to British Council School Award and Round Square, a worldwide association of schools on five continents sharing unique and ambitious goals. Students are provided quality education that encourages them to look beyond academic excellence, to personal development and responsibility.
- The school’s vast campus houses three blocks, pre-primary, primary and senior with well-designed, spacious and airy classrooms.
- There is a science lab, computer lab, language lab, science park, library, grooming lab, mini-auditorium and lecture hall.
- The school has a gym, as well as facilities for football, basketball, swimming, volleyball, tennis, shooting, table tennis, and badminton.
- Facilities for extracurricular activities include sculpture studio, art gallery, dance, aerobics, chess, NCC, quiz, etc.
Opposite Akashwani, A.B. road,
13. Loreto House, Kolkata:
Established in 1842, Loreto House has been renowned over the decades as one of the leading schools in India. The school’s aim is to provide education that involves the mind, body and spirit of the child.
- The school is affiliated to CISCE.
- In the classes X and XII, students appear for the ICSE and ISC exams respectively.
- The school has laboratories for Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Computer Science and Home Science. The well-equipped and well-maintained labs facilitate experiential learning.
- There are three well-stocked libraries with books on various subjects under the Science, Commerce and Humanities streams. They also have books on theology, biographies, encyclopedia as well as fiction and non-fiction books.
- The school provides facilities such as basketball courts, smart boards, audio-visual room, playground and more.
Loreto House-7, Middleton Row, Kolkata 700071.
[ Read: Best Residential Schools In India ]
14. Treamis, Bengaluru
Founded in 2007, this school follows CBSE curriculum.
- The day boarding and residential school offers classes from kindergarten to XII.
- It has an average class size of 22 students.
- The student to teacher ratio is 8:1.
- The school is built on a 34-acre campus which has smart classrooms, playground, and science and computer labs.
- The campus has courts for basketball, soccer, tennis, cricket, volleyball and various other indoor games. It has a swimming pool for the students.
Near Electronics City,
Bengaluru, Karnataka 560105
15. The Scindia School, Gwalior:
Founded as The Sardar’s School in 1897, The Scindia School is considered one of the best schools in India.
- The school is affiliated to the CBSE.
- It follows skill-based grading system from classes VI-VIII. The CCE pattern of assessment has also been introduced at the middle school level.
- It encourages interdisciplinary and experiential learning to strengthen conceptual knowledge.
- The learning needs of each student are met in a supportive and affirming environment. Peer tutoring, remedial and enrichment classes are regularly conducted to optimize learning outcomes.
- The school’s F.G. Pearce Library has a collection of more than 10,000 books. The open shelf system comes with computer aided access and retrieval.
- The school provides its students with facilities like clothing store, the tuck shop, and the stationery store, the library, the medical store and the telephone booth.
- The sprawling 10-acre grounds have 14 full-fledged playing fields for football, cricket, athletics, basketball, hockey, tennis, horse riding, squash, table tennis, skating, archery, shooting and swimming.
The Fort, Gwalior 474008.
16. Delhi Public School, Vasant Kunj, Delhi:
Delhi Public School was established in 1991 and is considered to be one of India’s top schools, always ranking in the top 50. It offers education from KG through class XII.
- The school is affiliated to the CBSE.
- It offers a common curriculum up to class X, along with a foreign language option.
- In class XI and XII, students choose one of three five-subject streams: Commerce, Science or Humanities.
- The focus in Prep classes is on cognitive development and enhancement of the language and interpersonal skills.
Sector C, Pocket V, Vasant Kunj,
New Delhi 110070.
17. The Shri Ram School, Gurgaon:
Founded in July 1988, The Shri Ram School practices inclusive education for all students. It is one of the top ranking schools in India.
- The Shri Ram School boasts of the only documented junior school curriculum in the state of Haryana.
- The school follows the CISCE curriculum.
- The school provides excellent facilities on its vast campus with a library, computer and science laboratories, AV room and workshop room.
- Other facilities include the liberal arts studio, the gymnasium, the medical room and the auditorium.
D-3 Street, Vasant Vihar,
New Delhi 110057.
18. The Sanskar Valley School, Bhopal:
Established in 2006, The Sanskar Valley School is a co-educational, day boarding- cum-residential school located in Bhopal. Established under the aegis of the Sharda Devi Charitable Trust, the school is a non- profit institution.
- The school offers a comprehensive curriculum that falls under the CISCE.
- The objective of the ICSE / ISC syllabus is to provide knowledge to students, enabling them to gain life skills for their academic and personal development and grow into young adults who are aware of their responsibilities towards society.
- The University of Cambridge has approved The Sanskaar Valley School as a Cambridge International School. Cambridge International Examinations (CIE) is the largest provider of international education programmes in the world.
- The school provides on-campus counselling to ensure emotional and psychological health of the students.
- Healthcare facilities such as oral, dental, ophthalmology and general health check-ups are also offered.
- A multipurpose hall has provisions for yoga, gymnastics, taekwondo, a swimming pool, a skating rink, three badminton courts and two glass-backed squash courts.
- Football field with two grandstands, two basketball courts, cricket pitch with facilities for net practice, and two tennis courts are other facilities provided on the campus.
Nr Kerwa Dam, Chandanpura,
[ Read: Top CBSE Schools In India ]
19. Maharani Gayatri Devi Girls School, Jaipur:
Founded in 1943, Maharani Gayatri Devi Girls School was the first all-girls school to be established in Rajasthan. It was also the first girls’ public school to be accepted as a member of the Public School Council of India Conference (IPSC).
- Classes I to V follow the XSeed curriculum of iDiscoveri.
- The school follows the CBSE curriculum. The core curriculum prescribed by the CBSE is followed in classes IX and X.
- There are 28,600 books, including fiction and reference books, in the well-maintained school library. It subscribes to 46 national and international magazines in both Hindi and English.
- There are also a sports complex, art block and science laboratories.
- The school organizes dance performances, plays and other extracurricular activities in the auditorium.
Sawai Ramsingh Marg, Ajmeri Gate,
20. Victorious Kidss Educares, Pune:
Victorious Kidss Educares was founded in 1997.
- The school offers the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum.
- It has classes from pre-primary to XII.
- The school campus is spread over 2 lakh sft. and has digitized classrooms, library, and laboratories for physics, biology, and chemistry. It has specially designed computer laboratories and iPad labs.
- This school has a swimming pool, a playground for outdoor sports, basketball and football courts, and music, dance and art rooms.
- It has a career counseling department for students.
Survey No. 53, 54 & 58,
Hissa 2/1A, Fountain Road,
Off Pune – Nagar Road,
Kharadi, Pune – 411014
21. The Indian Heights School, Delhi:
Established in the year 2008, The Indian Heights School was founded under Bhagwati Devi Foundation.
- It is a co-educational school affiliated to CBSE.
- The school is offering classes from kindergarten to XII.
- The school campus is spread over two acres and has fully air-conditioned digital classrooms, library, laboratories for science, mathematics, and computers. It also has a life skills lab for students in classes III to X.
- It has a huge playground for various sports, yoga and meditation center, art & craft studio, auditorium, counseling center, and cafeteria.
- The school offers health and medical check-up facility and maintains a health card of each student.
The Indian Heights School
Sector 23, Dwarka,
New Delhi, Delhi 110075
22. Dhirubhai Ambani International School, Mumbai:
Founded in 2003, Dhirubhai Ambani International School (DAIS) has been an IB World school since its start. Due to the world-class education it provides, the school is recognized as one of the top schools in India.
- DAIS offers the IB Program in its diploma form.
- Students are prepared for the ICSE, IGCSE and IB Diploma examinations.
- In classes LKG to IV, the school follows an integrated curriculum by using CISCE’s teaching programmes and international examination boards. The school is a member of the Cambridge International Primary Programme.
- The school offers the ICSE Programme and IGCSE Programme in class VIII, where students prepare for the curricula that they will study in classes IX and X.
- Post secondary school, DAIS offers the IB Diploma Programme.
- The premises houses 130,000 square feet of teaching space that contains classrooms and laboratories. All classrooms have display and writing boards, a public address system, broadband internet access, lockers for students and air conditioning.
- School-wide Wi-Fi internet access is available for class XI and XII students.
- The school has labs for Physics, Chemistry and Biology, as well as teaching rooms for Mathematics, Computer Studies, Social Science, Languages, Art and Music.
- Students also have a Learning Centre with access to the internet, periodicals and audio-visual resources and facilities for photocopying/printing.
- The Dhirubhai Ambani International School Study and Activity Centre situated in Matheran is used for recreational, cross-curricular activities as well as for physical education activities and weekend training camps.
G Block, 46, Trident Road, Bandra Kurla Complex,
Bandra East, Mumbai 400051.
22. SAI International School, Bhubaneswar:
Although it has not been long since the school opened its doors, SAI International is Odisha’s top school and has recently been ranked amongst the top 10 schools in the country. The British Council has conferred the International School Award on the school for outstanding achievements.
- The school is affiliated to the CBSE, CIE, CBSE-I, and Indian Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI).
- CBSE-I accredited schools have logical curriculum that is based on skills, with prime focus on experiential learning and inventive approach. Overall, the curriculum addresses comprehensive and global requirements, while paying attention to the system of education and culture in India.
- The school follows the Cambridge International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) curriculum, which is the most popular international curriculum in the world for 14 to 16-year-olds. It leads to globally recognised and valued Cambridge IGCSE qualifications.
- The school provides well-equipped science, math, robotics, computer, entrepreneurship, international language, Dhyaanchand Sports, and music labs.
- It has a Disney play center.
- Sports facilities include a gymnasium, swimming pool, football, tennis, badminton, horse riding, and cricket.
- The school has three well-stocked libraries with three different wings. The libraries house newspapers, magazines, periodicals, course-related books, autobiographies, encyclopedias, manuscripts, story books, novels, bestsellers, classics, etc.
Plot No.5-A, Chandaka Industrial Estate,
Infocity Road, Bhubaneswar 751031.
23. D.A.V. Boys Senior Secondary School, Gopalapuram, Chennai:
D.A.V. Boys is recognized for its results in the CBSE class XII examinations. Over the years, it has been ranked among the top school in India, especially in academics.
- D.A.V. Boys follows the CBSE curriculum from class VI.
- Until class X, the main subjects taught in the school are science, mathematics, social science, English, and language. Language choices are Sanskrit, Hindi and Tamil.
- Computer science, third language, electrical gadgets, woodwork, and art are compulsory for students until class VIII.
- The school has well-designed, spacious and airy classrooms.
- Its well-stocked library is available for students for research and presentations.
- The school a computer lab, AV room, and a music room and dance room.
- There is a playground to encourage sports and physical activity.
212213, Lloyds Road, Gopalapuram,
24. St. Mary’s School, Pune:
Founded in 1866, St. Mary’s School, Pune, was established to cater to the education of the daughters of British Indian Army officers. In 2013, the school was ranked the fourth best school in India.
- The school follows the ICSE and ISC curriculum. The exams are conducted at the end of class X and class XII, respectively.
- The school has also developed its programme to ensure a holistic balance between academics, creativity and physical activity.
- St. Mary’s has an audio-visual room where media education is imparted through audio-visual classes. For the higher classes, laptops and LCD projectors are used to make learning more visual and turn complex concepts simpler.
- The school has a learning resource center/ library stocked with reference books and age- appropriate classics and fiction.
- Prep to class III students work with iPads using the Apple educational tools. For the higher classes, students can prepare projects and research at three computer labs.
5B, General Bhagat Marg, Camp, Pune 411001.
25. Bishop Cotton Boy’s School, Bangalore:
Often called the ‘Eton of the East’, Bishop Cotton Boy’s School is one of the highly regarded boarding schools in Bangalore. It is the number one metro school and one of the top three schools in India.
- The school offers ICSE Board (until class X) and ISC (class XII). The ISC streams are Science, Commerce and Humanities. Students can take a total of five or six subjects in ISC.
- At the ICSE level, subjects taught include English, History, Mathematics, Civics, Geography and Environmental Education, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, an Indian or foreign language, and a choice between Economics, Computer Applications, Commercial Applications, and Physical Education.
- Spread over a sprawling area of 13 acres, Bishop Cotton boasts of excellent facilities to encourage and ensure all-round development of its students. This includes libraries, bookstores, four computer labs and AV rooms that have electronic-interactive smart boards for teaching.
- The school’s Elphick Research Center houses world class laboratories for Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Science.
- The sports complex includes facilities for basketball, cricket, indoor sports and more.
- The Bishop George Edward Lynch Cottonian Auditorium is where extracurricular activities such as debates, elocution, spelling bees, dramatics, music, quiz competitions, etc. are organized.
90 (34), Richmond Road, St. Mark’s Road Bangalore 560001.
Finding a reputed educational institute in India is not difficult as the country is home to some of the best schools in the world. Major cities have schools with excellent facilities where children can receive world-class education.