What is M-PESA Global?
This a service that enables M-PESA registered customers to send and receive money globally.
M-PESA customers will be able to send funds;
- To East Africa: Rwanda, Tanzania & Uganda
- Globally: To millions of Bank accounts and over 500,000 Western Union locations globally.
M-PESA registered customers will receive the funds from abroad on their M-PESA account.
How can one access this service?
- By dialling *840# >Accept terms and conditions to Opt in > Select send money abroad
- MySafaricom App > Select M-PESA> Select M-PESA Global>Accept terms and conditions to Opt in > Select Send
*download updated MySafaricom app version or update current one to access the service
What is the minimum/maximum amount one can send through M-PESA Global?
The minimum amount to send is KSHS 101 and maximum of KSHS 70000
In which currency will the recipient receive the funds?
The recipient will receive funds in their country’s currency
What are the charges for the service?
How can M-PESA customers receive funds from abroad?
Why visit a bank or pay to receive money sent to you from US, UK, Europe, and UAE when you can receive it at the comfort of your home?
Safaricom and a number of money transfer services have partnered to ensure that it will not cost you a cent to receive money from the above mentioned locations. These partners are:
- Post Finance
- Western Union.
- Xpress Money
- Moni Technologies
- P2P Cash
- Transfer Galaxy
- Vodacom Tanzania
- MTN Rwanda
- MTN Uganda
Next time, you are sending school fees home, remember it doesn’t have to cost the recipient a thing when you send to M-PESA.
Do we have M-PESA Global East Africa?
Customers can now send money to Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda
East Africa just got closer than you ever imagined. You can now send and receive cash fast and conveniently across the region through M-PESA. Whether it’s sending cash to your business partners in Rwanda, sending pocket money to your college going children in Uganda, sending money to family in Tanzania or suppliers in Kenya, you can do it all through your phone.
It’s quick and easy;
- When in TZ simply dial *150*00# and then “Send money to MPESA Kenya” on your Vodacom line
- When in Rwanda; dial *830# to send money to Kenya from your MTN line.
- When in Uganda; dial *165# to send money to Kenya from your MTN line.
Can one send money to all Western Union agents globally?
This service is available in all countries except sanctioned countries e.g. North Korea and Syria.
Can one send money to all Banks globally?
This service is currently available in Germany, China and UAE. Other countries will be included in due course.
*Send to Bank option is currently available on MySafaricom App only
What is a Country ISO?
This is a 2 LETTER abbreviation for country names e.g. ZA for South Africa, TD for Chad, KE for Kenya, UG, TZ, etc. ISO may not always be the first two letters of the country name.
What is a secret word?
When sending funds to South Africa the sender is required to input a secret word. The recipient will be required to have the secret word details at the collection point to receive the funds.
How do I get assistance?
For all customer care queries, kindly call 100 or 200
1. OPt in
Customer JOURNEY – *840#
- Dial *840#
- Select Opt in
- Read Terms and conditions
- Accept / Decline
- Enter M-PESA PIN
- Then Wait for confirmation SMS
2. USSD Procedure
- Dial *840#
- Select Western Union Location
- Select New Recipient
- Enter First name
- Enter Last name
- Enter Middle name
- Enter Amount
- Pick Destination
- Enter 2 letter Country ISO(Where user selects ‘Other’)
- Enter Purpose of funds
- Enter source of funds
- Confirm transaction details and charges
- Enter M-PESA PIN
Customer will receive M-PESA SMS and another SMS with the MTCN from M-PESA Global which should be shared with the Recipient
3. MySafararicom App Procedure
- Launch the App, internet connection is required
- Navigate to M-PESA> M-PESA Global > Opt in
- Read and accept Terms and Conditions
- Enter M-PESA PIN and wait for confirmation SMS
Was this information helpful?