lost Microsoft account password
Step 1: Welcome to the Lost Password Solution
To access your Xbox Live account, you must know both the email address and password that you use to sign in to your Microsoft account. If you have lost or forgotten your password, you will need to reset it in order to create a new password.
Important If you’ve forgotten both your Microsoft account email address and your password, first retrieve your email address using the Lost Account Solution, then reset your password.How would you like to reset your password?
Step 2: Reset your password using your Xbox One console
You can request a password reset directly from your Xbox One, if you have access to the phone number or alternate email you previously provided.
- Select the I forgot my password button.
- Enter the characters you see on your screen (so we know you’re not a robot).
Show that you’re you
To reset your password, you need to verify your identity by having a security code sent to you. You’ll be asked to select how you’d like to receive this security code.
The alternate email address and phone number you provided for security contact information are listed on the Show that you’re you screen. If these contact methods are still valid and you have access to them, select YES below.
If for some reason you can’t access any of your security contact information, select NO below to follow some additional steps to get a reset link sent to you.Are you able to access the phone number or email address listed?
Step 3: Select how you’d like to receive your security code
Choose from any of the security contact methods listed, and we’ll send your security code there.
- On the Show that you’re you screen, select the security contact method (email address or phone number) where you want us to send your code. Click on the option listed to see a drop down of all options you have set up for your account.
- Check your phone, email, or authenticator app for the security code, and enter it in the field provided on the Check your phone or Check your email screen.
Using an authenticator app
Some customers find it more convenient to set up an authenticator app on their smartphones so they don’t ever have to wait for a code. You can learn more about authenticator apps for future use when you sign in to account.live.com after you’ve reset your password. If you’re using an authenticator app, you’ll see Use my authenticator app as an option on the Show that you’re you screen. To use the app, follow these steps:
- Choose Use my authenticator app, and click Next.
- Retrieve the authentication code from your smartphone app, and enter the code into the field provided on the console.
If you have Two Step Verification set up on your account
If you activated Two Step Verification for your Microsoft account, you’ll need to request and enter the security code twice, using a different contact method each time.
Step 4: Enter a new password
Once you’ve verified your identity by entering the security code we sent to you, you’ll be prompted to choose a new password and enter it twice. Passwords should be at least 8 characters long and should contain a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
- On the Pick a password screen, enter your new password.
- On the One more time screen, re-enter the same password to verify.
That’s it! Your password has been reset.
When you complete the sign-in process, you’ll be asked if you want to save your password on the console. Make sure you remember your password even if it’s saved on your console, so you can manage your account online or access your profile on a friend’s console.
Step 5: Can you sign in now?
Now that you have your Microsoft account email address and password, try signing in online or on your Xbox console.
Are you now able to sign in to your Microsoft account?
Step 6: Congrats, you’re signed in!