How to Obtain Unmarried Certificate / Single Status Certificate in Sri Lanka

4 min


Sri Lankan citizen should obtain an unmarried certificate issued by a Justice of Peace or Grama Niladhari in the applicant’s village which should be certified & attested by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Sri Lanka.


It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the state where you live in Sri Lanka. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrars account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

  • Go to the Civil Registry office where marriages are registered.
  • Present and submit required documents.
  • Complete a form and declare.
  • Pay the fee.
  1. Fill in a letter of request and the application for Unmarried Status Certificate
  2. Submit the letter of request and the application form along with all other required documents to the Sri Lankan Embassy.
  3. Pay all relevant fees.

Ads by Google

Required Documents

  • letter of request
  • Registration ID issued by the Embassy
  • An affidavit countersigned by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Affidavits are valid only for 6 months from the date of issue)
  • If the spouse/partner is also a Sri Lankan citizen, both parties should submit their affidavits.
  • Applicants Passport and valid Visa (Original)
  • Copy of passport of the person to be married to.
  • Completed application for Unmarried Status Certificate
  • Divorce Certificate (Original) if the applicant is a divorcee
  • Death Certificate (Original) if the applicants previous spouse has expired.

Office Locations & Contacts

Registrar General’s Department Contact Details
Tel: 0112889488/89
Fax: 0112889491

Sri Lanka Missions Abroad

Ministry of External Affairs Sri Lanka

Contact Numbers: 0094 (0) 11 2325371 / 2325372 / 2325373 / 2325375

Fax Numbers: 0094 (0) 11 2446091 / 2333450 / 2430220



Sri Lanka Missions Abroad

Consular Affairs Division

Contact Numbers: 0094 11 4718972/ 4719593

Fax Numbers: 0094 11 2473899


Embassy of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka in the Russian Federation

Address: 24, Schepkina str., Moscow, 129090 Russia


Contact Numbers: +7 (495) 688-16-20, 688-16-51, 688-14-63

Fax Numbers: +7 (495) 688-17-57


Other Contact NumbersAds by Google


A Single Status Certificate also referred to as a No Marriage Affidavit, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or Certificate of No Impediment, is a sworn statement saying that you are eligible to marry.

In order for non-nationals to marry in a foreign country you will most likely be required to produce legal documentation from your country of citizenship verifying single status and that you are free to marry. This is known as a ‘Certificate of No Impediment’, ‘Certificate de Coutume’, ‘Certificate of Nulla Osta’ or a ‘Certificate of Freedom to Marry’.


Check out the link for relevant fees.


This certificate are obtained from Sri Lankan Embassies Abroad. Make sure that you contact the Sri Lankan Embassy in the country you are in and check if you need to make an appointment first before going to the embassy to apply for the certificate.

Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.

Required Information

  • Full Name
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Gender
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares
  • Signature of the witnesses

Need for the Document

The Unmarried Certificate is a document that proves you are not already legally married. Some countries would require Sri Lankan citizens planning to get married abroad to submit this document before being allowed to proceed with the marriage ceremony.

Following are procedures on how to obtain Unmarried Certificates.

Information which might help

The Registrar General’s Department was formed for registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths of the populace Sri Lankan and legal documents pertaining to properties, with a view to safeguarding their fundamental rights.

Civil registration activities have been decentralized up to the Divisional Secretariat level and accordingly a District Registrar’s Division is operating in all 332 Divisional Secretariats.

The Registrar General’s Department is operating under the Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs.

Objectives of the Department:

  • To secure registration of primary domestic events such as marriages, births & deaths
  • Registration of legal documents relating to movable & immovable properties
  • Preservation of records pertaining to such registration
  • Issue of certified copies from such records

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

This document will most likely be required as a supporting document if you are getting married in a foreign country.

This document can also be required for employment in a foreign country.

External Links

  • Embassy of Sri Lanka in Russia:

Ministry of External Affairs

Government of Sri Lanka

Government Websites

Registrar General’s Department

District Secretariats

Provincial Councils

Ministry of Public Administration and Home Affairs


If you are planning to marry in another country, you may be required to obtain a Certificate of Non-Impediment. This document has many different names such as Declaration of Non-Impediment to Marry, Statutory Declaration of Single Status, Affidavit of Intended Marriage, Statement In-Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad, Certificate de Coutume, a Certificate of No Impediment, Certificate of Nulla Osta, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or just free to marry.

The Bride & Groom to be married must provide from their country of Citizenship, individual Certificates of non impediment or Certificate of Single Status/Sworn Affidavit, as proof that they are both indeed single and eligible to marry. This is also called an affidavit of single status or negative statement of marriage. This document can be obtained at the local level in their city they reside.

Like it? Share with your friends!