Petroleum business” means a concern carrying on the importation, … to cease the activity unless and until the requisite construction permit is obtained. … that third parties, including any contracted petroleum road transportation licensee
- Licensing is done by the Petroleum Licensing Committee of the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC) in accordance to the requirements of the Energy Act 2006
Apply in Person
- The applicant should visit the Energy Regulatory Commission offices to make the application.
- The applicant will be given an Application Form for a Petroleum Road Transportation Business Licence FORM 1 to fill
- Fill in the required details.
- Attach copies of the required documents and submit to the ERC offices for processing. These documents are mentioned in the Required Documents section below.
- The license is usually ready after a period of 30 days of processing.
- No fee is charged for the license application.
- Notification for collection will be made through email and text message. One is required to collect the certificate from the ERC offices. You are required to carry a proof of identity during collection.
Step 1 Register with ERC portal
- Open ERC Website: ERC Website
- Click on the tab “online services”
- Click “access our online portal”
- For new users click on the “register” tab. For existing users login using your user name and password
- Click “apply for a new license”
- Select “business/company” to be able to apply for the license.
- Enter your personal details and press save. Ensure that you enter your correct email address. Create a unique username and password.
- Open your email, you will find a message from ERC. Open our portal through the link given in your inbox to activate your account.
Step 2 Apply for driver certification
- Log in to the portal using your provided username and password in (7) above.
- Under the “License Management” tab click select New Application and under the Petroleum Sector select “Transport of petroleum products(Except LPG)” then click on “Continue with Registration”
- This will lead you to the Licence Application: Petroleum Business Licence (Except LPG) Transport of petroleum products (Except LPG) where you will be required to fill in the provided sections;
(i)Bio data (Company’s Details)
(iii)Description of business premises
(iv) Transport vehicles ( Trucks and Trailers details)
- Upload your scanned documents in their respective places and press next. These documents include(i) CR12 from the Registrar of companies (Not older than one (1) year) for limited companies (Mandatory)
(ii) Certificate of Incorporation / Business Registration Certificate (Mandatory)
(iii) Valid Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority (Mandatory)
(vi) Legible Copies of Identification Documents i.e. IDs/Passports for all the Company directorsbr>(vii) Single Business Permit to operate business from the respective County Government (Mandatory) )
(viii) A valid Motor Vehicle Inspection Certificate for each prime mover and trailer (Mandatory)
(ix) Log books for each prime mover and trailer (Combined) – Attach lease agreement if not in the name of owner/company (Mandatory)
(x) A list of vehicles; paired prime movers and trailers where necessary (In Microsoft Excel) (Mandatory)
(xi) A valid certificate of calibration for the tanker mounted on each vehicle (Mandatory)
(xii) Fire Clearance Certificate for the vehicle(s) from the respective County Fire Department (Mandatory)
(xiii)Work Permits Class G for foreign directors as per CR12
- Review if the data you provided is correct, then click submit for processing to begin.
- No fee is charged for the certificate application.
- Notification for collection will be made through email and text message after a period of 30 days.
- One is required to collect the certificate from the ERC offices. You are required to carry a proof of identity during collection.
- CR12 from the Registrar of companies (Not older than one (1) year) for limited companies
- Certificate of Incorporation / Business Registration Certificate
- Valid Tax Compliance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
- Legible Copies of Identification Documents i.e. IDs/Passports for all the Company directors
- Single Business Permit to operate business from the respective County Government
- A valid Motor Vehicle Inspection Certificate for each prime mover and trailer
- Log books for each prime mover and trailer (Combined) – Attach lease agreement if not in the name of owner/company
- A list of vehicles; paired prime movers and trailers where necessary (In Microsoft Excel)
- A valid certificate of calibration for the tanker mounted on each vehicle
- Fire Clearance Certificate for the vehicle(s) from the respective County Fire Department
- Work Permits Class G for foreign directors as per CR12
Office Locations & Contacts
Energy Regulatory Commission
Eagle Africa Centre,
P. O. Box 42681,
Nairobi – 00100
Tel: +254 202 847 000 / +254 202 847 200
Tel. 1: +254 202 717 603
On-line call support centre
One should possess the following
- Be a registered business or company
- Have a valid tax compliance certificate
- Have clearances from the fire department
- No fee is charged for this application.
- Validity period is one year
Documents to Use
- Form 1 Application Form for a Petroleum Road Transportation Business Licence are provided by the ERC officials at their offices.
- Other applications are done online.
- 30 days from the date of submission.
Obligation of road Transportation Business licensees.
- In carrying out the business of petroleum road transportation, a licensee shall-
- transport only petroleum products that which meet the Kenya Standard;
- ensure that the business complies with the requirements of the Act and all the other applicable laws;
- transport petroleum only for persons who hold a valid petroleum business licence issued under the Act;
- only use transport import route designated or prescribed;
- load petroleum only from petroleum storage facilities that are licenced under the Act;
- discharge petroleum only to a licensed facility, to an end user for own consumption or, in the case of petroleum intended for export, at the destination outside Kenya;
- ensure that all vehicles used in the transportation of petroleum have valid petroleum road tanker permits issued by the Commission;
- ensure that the vehicles used in the transportation of petroleum are driven only by persons in possession of valid certificates issued under the Act;
- ensure that there is an emergency preparedness and response plan that meets the criteria set by the Commission;
- implement regular pre-loading vehicle inspection in accordance with a checklist approved by the Commission;
- ensure that petroleum tankers are only driven between 6.30am and 6.30pm;
- ensure petroleum road tankers are only parked in designated parking areas where they exist or at least one hundred meters from any building where designated parking does not exist;
- ensure that the provisions of these Regulations and the conditions of the licence and vehicle permits are known to, and by all persons employed in or about the licensed premises or the petroleum road tankers; and
- ensure that unauthorized persons do not have access to the petroleum road tankers.
- The transportation company must ensure that all their drivers have been certified by the commission as petroleum tanker drives.
- Name of business/applicant
- National Identification Number
- Postal address
- Location of premises
- Street/ Market
- Town/ District
- Location of premises
- Details of proprietors ,directors, shareholders or partners owning business
- Number of shares held
- Passport Number (if any issued)
- Full description of business
- Number and Date of previous License Issued
- Environmental conservation measures taken.
- Any previous applications for tanker driver certification made to the ERC
Ads by Google
Need for the Document
- A person shall not carry out the business of petroleum road transportation in Kenya unless he is licenced by the commission
- According to the Energy Act Licensing of Petroleum Road Transportation Business Regulations 2013, any individual/organisation violating this regulation is liable of an offence.