If your pet resides in Sri Lanka and you want to take it out of the country, then you will need a Certificate of Good Health from your veterinarian in Sri Lanka and an export authorization issued by the Sri Lankan Ministry of Agriculture. The authorization will be good for 30 days and there is a fee involved.
Importing your pets:
- Have your pet examined by a certified veterinarian: You will need to have your pet examined by a certified veterinarian. Some of the documents that you will need to present when your pet arrives in Sri Lanka will be issued by your vet. Your vet will also be the one who will issue the pet passport.
- If you are outside Sri Lanka : You may use the link provided under “Office Locations & Contacts” to get in touch with the nearest Sri Lankan Embassy in the country you are currently staying. The office may be able to provide you with information about pet passports and import permits for pets.
- Obtain an import permit: An application to obtain an import permit along with the vaccination record for the pet should be faxed/ emailed to the Director General of the DAPH. Permission to import will be granted within a few weeks. An application form can be downloaded by visiting their website – link.
- When making arrangements to transport your pet: Make sure that you have all the required documents, and got in touch with the authority responsible with the import/export of live animals in the country where your pet will be coming from and in Sri Lanka. If you are thinking of flying in with your pet, you may also try and contact the airline company, they may be able to provide additional information about pet passports and how you can bring your pet abroad.
- Arrival in Sri Lanka : Imported dogs/cats will be subjected to a quarantine inspection at Katunayake Airport. If necessary, samples will be taken for testing.
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of Animal Production and Health (DAPH)
The Director-General, Animal Production and Health (DGAPH)
P.O. Box 13, Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Tel: (+94 11) 08 2388195 / 2388184 / 2388189 / 2388463
Fax: (+94 11) 08 2388619
Fax (for import permits): + 94 081 2389342
Need for the Document
This procedure provides you information on how you can bring your pet dogs and cats to Sri Lanka and how can you obtain a Pet Passport and Import Permit for your pets.