How can a minor apply for Sri Lankan passport ? Both mother and father or the legal guardian of the applicant should accompany him/her when the applicant comes to the application accepting office to submit the application. A letter of consent from a parent or the legal guardian should be attached to the application.
- Fill in the application form then attach the letter of consent.
- Submit form along with all other required documents.
- Passport of the applicant
- Birth certificates of the children
- The passport of the applicants spouse with photocopies of the data page and child inclusion page
- A letter of consent from the spouse
If applying to include an adopted child, following additional documents are required:
- Certificate of Adoption
- The court order
- A letter from the Commissioner of Probation and Child Care
Originals of the documents must be submitted along with photocopies. The following documents should be submitted under the special circumstances mentioned below.
If the child is born outside of Sri Lanka, Consular Birth Certificate and Citizenship Registration Certificate for each child (A copy of payment receipt for citizenship Registration is accepted)
National Identity Card of spouse if he/she has not obtained a passport If the spouse is dead the Death Certificate.
If the parents are divorced, Divorce Certificate and the court order stating the right to the custody of the child/ children.
If the child has been abandoned by the parents, a certified copy of the police report and a confirmation letter from the Grama Niladhari countersigned by the Divisional Secretary.
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of Immigration and Emigration
41, Ananda Rajakaruna Mawatha, Colombo 10, Sri Lanka
Phone : 94-11-5329000 Hunting Line
Fax : 94-11-2674621
E-Mail : email@example.com
Web Site: www.immigration.gov.lk
Controller General of Immigration and Emigration & Commissioner for Registration of Persons of Indian Origin
Mr. W. A. C. Perera
Telephone : +94 11 5329400
Ext : 9400
Fax : 2674621
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more contact numbers: http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=130&Itemid=67&lang=en
- Location Map: http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=136&Itemid
Any person below 16 years of age is considered as a minor for this purpose.
Currently issued N series passports are valid for 10 years unless otherwise specified. Validity period of passports for minors below 16 years of age are 3 years. Emergency Certificates are valid two (02) years but can be extended for further two years.
Documents to Use
- To download form to include minor on the parent’s passport: http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127&Itemid=105&lang=en
Passports are issued by the Controller of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo.
You can include maximum 6 (six) children in one passport. If you have more than 6 children, you can include up to six children in one parents passport and up to six more in the other parents passport.
Need for the Document
When parents apply for new N series passports, the names and photographs of their children below 16 years of age could also be included in their new passports.
Information which might help
- Normal Processing Applications – from 8.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m.
- Urgent Basis Applications – from 8.00 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. On week days only.
The office closes on weekends and during Public Holidays.
- Department of Immigration and Emigration Sri Lanka: http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142&Itemid=191&lang=en#inclu
- Embassy of Sri Lanka, Rome: http://www.srilankaembassyrome.org/en/consular-services/travel-documents-passport/inclusion-of-children-into-either-parents-new-passports.html