Foreign investors are required to obtain EPZ Enterprise license from the Export Processing Zone Authority in order to conduct activities in any of Kenya’s seven EPZs.
EPZ Business service means a trade or business conducted in an EPZ by an entity which is not an EPZ enterprise. Any person may apply for an EPZ business service permit for eligible services (as set out in the schedule), to be carried out within an export processing zone.
Interested applicants submit an application form which provides information on the applicant, legal status, desired activity, location/space preferred, ownership, jobs to be created, evidence of relevant prior business experience and professional qualifications of staff to be hired.
The applicant also submits a business plan showing amounts to be invested and expected business outturn, along with copies of professional, business or occupational licenses and an application fee.
The Authority reviews the completed application and renders its decision within 30 days of application. Upon payment of the annual fee the EPZ business service permit is issued, valid for a period of 1 calendar year. The permit is not transferable.Ads by Google
- Business plan
- Certificate of registration
- Copies of professional, business or occupational licenses
- Application fee
Office Locations & Contacts
Export Processing Zones Authority
Administration Building, Viwanda Road,
off Nairobi-Namanga Highway,
Athi River, Kenya
P.O. Box 50563
VoIP Lines: 020-7606040/3
Cellphone (Safaricom):0713-051172/3; (Airtel):0786-683222/0733-683222
P.O. Box 89474,
VoIP lines: 020 7606043
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgAds by Google
Activities eligible for business service permit include:
- Commercial banking
- Clearing and forwarding
- Catering and Restaurant
- Staff Recruitment and payroll services
- Postal and telecommunication bureau
- Office Service Bureau
- Transportation services (freight and passenger)
- Installation, repair and maintenance
- Fitness club, sports club and gymnasium
- Medical and related services
- Laboratory, testing and quality certification services
- Security Services
- Business Consultancy Services (eg. Marketing, training, legal)
- Insurance Services
- Foreign Trade Mission (commercial trade offices)
- International Disaster Relief Agencies
- International Non-Governmental Organizations
- Sole proprietorship – KShs 2,000
- Partnership – KShs 6,000
- Companies – KShs 20,000
Annual EPZ Business Permit Fees
- Sole Proprietorship – KShs 6,000
- Partnership – KShs 10,000
- Companies and Privileged entities – KShs 20,000
Documents to Use
Criteria for Approval
- The Activity should be within the listed eligible activities
- The applicant should be professionally qualified and adequately experienced to undertake the proposed business activity with reasonable high probability of success as demonstrated by submission of sound business plan and qualifications of key staff and directors.
- The applicant is a person/company of good financial and/or ethical standing as attested to by submission of relevant references
- For non-privileged entities the activity will not compromise Government revenues and will be restricted to custom base located within the zone. In the case of privileged organizations the customer base may be international companies, international agencies, embassies, foreign governments, NGOs, or the Government of Kenya itself.
- In a situation where, in the opinion of EPZ Authority, there is an inadequate customer base at a public zone (e.g. Athi River) and where all applicants meet all the conditions for a limited number permits (e.g. canteens), then the business permit will be issued through balloting.
- Proposed business activity
- Particulars of applicant/company
- Name of applicant
- Address of applicant
- Telephone No.
- Fax No
- Previous business experience
- Name of entity which undertake the business activity
- Date of registration
- Address of registered office
- Particulars of directors/sole proprietor/partners
- ID no. /passport no.
- Residential address
- Project details
- Main customers base of proposed business
- Proposed location/zone
- Space required (in sq.m.)
- Proposed number of employees
- Name of Managing Director/General Manager and qualifications;
- Signature of Applicant
Need for the Document
The Export Processing Zones Authority (EPZ) Business Service Permit is issued by the Export Processing Zones Authority for service activities conducted within an EPZ by firms located in the zone, but not requiring or eligible for an EPZ enterprise license.
Information which might help
EPZ Business service means a trade or business conducted in an EPZ by an entity which is not an EPZ enterprise.
The EPZ Business Service Permit is for service activities conducted within an EPZ by firms located in the zone, but not requiring or eligible for an EPZ enterprise license.
Agency: Export processing Zones Authority
Purpose: To offer business services to EPZ companies by no EPZ entities
Contact Office: Export Processing Zones Authority HQS Athi River
Resolution Criteria: establish evidence of ability to offer
The Export Processing Zones Authority (EPZA) is a State Corporation, under the Ministry of Industrialization and Enterprise Development.
The Export Processing Zones Authority (EPZA) is a state corporation established by the Government of Kenya through an Act of Parliament – the Export Processing Zones Act (Cap 517 of the Laws of Kenya) for the promotion and facilitation of export-oriented investment and the development of an enabling environment for such investments. Over the years, the Export Processing Zones Program has registered impressive growth. This growth has enabled the program to achieve its objectives of employment creation, expansion and diversification of exports; increase in productive investment, generation of foreign exchange earnings, technological transfer and creation of linkages with the customs territory.