Create a document. Open Word. Or, if Word is already open, select File > New. In the Search for online templates box, enter a search word like letter, resume, or invoice. Or, select a category under the search box like Business, Personal, or Education. Click a template to see a preview. Select Create.
Create a document in Word
With Word on your PC, Mac, or mobile device, you can:
- Create documents from scratch, or a template.
- Add text, images, art, and videos.
- Research a topic and find credible sources.
- Access your documents from a computer, tablet, or phone with OneDrive.
- Share your documents, and work with others.
- Track and review changes.
Create a document
- On the File tab, click New.
- In the Search for online templates box, enter the type of document you want to create and press ENTER.
Tip: To start from scratch, select Blank document. Or, for practice using Word features, try a learning guide like Welcome to Word, Insert your first table of contents, and more.
Add and format text
- Place the cursor and type some text.
- To format, select the text and then select an option: Bold, Italic, Bullets, Numbering, …
Add Pictures, Shapes, SmartArt, or a Chart
- Select the Insert tab.
- Select what you want to add:
- Tables – select Tables, hover over the size you want, and select it.
- Pictures – select Pictures, browse for the picture you want, and select Insert.
- Online Pictures – select Online Pictures, search and choose the picture you want, and select Insert.
- Shapes – select Shapes, and then select a shape from the drop-down.
- Icons – select Icons, choose the one you want, and select Insert.
- 3D Models – select 3D Models, choose from a file or online source, go to the image you want, and select Insert.
- SmartArt – select SmartArt, choose a SmartArt Graphic, and select OK.
- Chart – select Chart, select the chart you want, and select OK.
- Screenshot – select Screenshot and select one from the drop-down.