By visiting e-service website https://irembo.gov.rw, one can access the conversion or exchange of the foreign driver licence service by clicking the “Replacement of Definitive driving license” under the police section in the services offered.
- One can only apply for this service at the Traffic Police Department at the Rwanda National Police Headquarters.
- The applicant must write a letter to the Commissioner for Traffic and Road Safety Department requesting the conversion or exchange of the foreign driver licence for a Rwandese definitive driving license.
- After the approval of the request by the traffic and road safety commissioner, the applicant can apply for the conversion or exchange of the driving license through a one-stop portal for e-Government services called irembo.
- By visiting e-service website https://irembo.gov.rw, one can access the conversion or exchange of the foreign driver licence service by clicking the “Replacement of Definitive driving license” under the police section in the services offered.
- One is required to pay a processing fee of 50,000 RWF and the process usually takes 21 days to be complete.
- Once the Rwandese definitive driver licence is processed and ready a notification for collection will be sent to the applicant through E-mail and/or SMS. S/he can is required to physically present him/herself to the traffic department HQ to collect the definitive driving license.
- One is required to present proof of identification when collecting the new driver’s license.
- A Letter addressed to the Commissioner for Traffic and Road Safety Department
- Passport Or Identification Card
- Photocopy of Foreign Driver License
- Medical examination report
- Payment receipt
Office Locations & Contacts
RNP Traffic Department Headquarters
Republic of Rwanda – Rwanda National Police
KN 1 Rd, Kigali, Rwanda
P.O. BOX 6304
Phone: +250 788311155
To be eligible, one must be:
- at least 18 years and above
- a holder of a foreign driving license.
- of sound health, especially sight.
A processing fee of 50,000 RWF is required for converting or exchanging a foreign driving license.
- The validity of the Converted or Exchanged driving license is set according to the age category of the applicant at the time of the conversion or exchange of the driving license.
- The validity period is 10 years for people aged 65 years or younger; For people aged between 65 and 70 years, they will consider the number of years remaining before they turn 73 years old as the validity period; while the validity period is 3 years for people aged 70 years and older.
Documents to Use
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
The maximum processing time to convert or exchange a foreign driving license in Rwanda is twenty-one (21) days
- Full name
- Date of birth
- City of birth
- Country of birth
- Domicile or residence
- Valid identity proof
Need for the Document
- One needs to convert or exchange a foreign driving license to a Rwandese driving license within a period of one year of use as per the laws of Rwanda.
- This document shows compliance with the Traffic laws of Rwanda.
- This document indicates that the owner has relevant training on road safety and usage in Rwanda.
Information which might help
- One should acquire a medical certificate issued by a registered Doctor to provide to the institution in charge of issuing the definitive driving license.
- The validity of the driving license is set according to the age category of the applicant at the time of the conversion or exchange of the driving license.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- A driving permit act as a proof of identity
- It can be also be used in a financial institution for example when opening a bank account
- Rwanda driving licenses are delivered by Rwanda National Police through its traffic police services.
- In Rwanda, the minimum age for driving is 18 years and the maximum age is up to 75 years.
- International driving permits are accepted as long as they are valid for the period you be on yourself drive trip in Rwanda.
- The international driving permit is accepted to be in use for only one year and thereafter you must acquire the Rwandese driving permit.