How to Change Your Name (Deed Poll) in Qatar

4 min


Detailed procedure for changing name in Qatar ID and RP … there are a number of steps to be followed for applying for name change with some cost involved.

Many times, expats in Qatar who recently got married or still using their maiden name want to change their names in Qatar’s residence permit and ID, there are a number of steps to be followed for applying for name change with some cost involved

There are few documents required before preceding to the Ministry of Interior Qatar in Al Gharaffa

1.) Applicant’s New Passport Copy (including the married name)

2.) Applicant’s Residence Permit Copy(current- including the maiden name)

3.) Marriage Certificate Copy attested by the relevant authority of your country

4.) Signed Letter written in Arabic language mentioning the reason for name change (Old and New names need to be written in English)

5.) 2×2 picture with blue background

6.) Completed form for modifying resident’s details (form can be downloaded from MOI Website), this form needs to include your employer’s stamp and signature

7.) Company registration copy

8.) Passport Copy

9.) Husband’s Residence permit copy (In case of women if husband is also staying in Qatar)

Steps to follow

1.) Once the above documents are ready, submit these tothe officer sitting at the front desk at MOI at Al Gharaffa, “Committee into Looking for Change Name Requests” Office, 2nd floor of Bldg. 2, gate/ entrance 2 or 3. The officer will give you a yellow receipt like below and will ask you to come back after 3 weeks.

2.) Reach out to MOI in the same office and show the yellow receipt, the officer at the front desk here will give you a form to fill shown below for Gulf Times

3.) Complete the above form and get it signed and stamped by the same officer from MOI.

4.) Reach out to Gulf Times located at C-ring road, present this form and the paper received from MOI to the publication counter person, an amount of QR500 needs to be paid for posting the details in Gulf Times the very next day.

5.) Next day keep a copy of the newspaper with you with your details posted in it as a proof.

6.) After 15 days reach out to MOI and present the newspaper copy to the same officer where all the documents were submitted, the officer will confirm with the newspaper and will ask you to come after 1 week.

7.) After 1 week bring all copies of the yellow receipt, RP Card/QID, Old Passport, new passport and your debit or credit card for the fee payment. Present the yellow receipt to the officer at MOI, the officer will give you a printed copy of the application form which needs to be stamped at gate 1, first floor.

8.) Once done get the paper to Gate 2, ground floor, where you need to pay QR200 for the ID process and printing.

9.) Wait for the new Residence Permit Card to be printed, once done check it for any error in ID number or name spelling.

10.) Provide your original new ID card, new and old passport for passport number change in the Id to your Company HR or sponsor.


  • Obtain all necessary documents in applying for the change of name.
  • Submit your application along with all other requirements.
  • Once the new name or surname is accepted, you may proceed in registering your new name.

Required Documents

  • Certificate of Criminal Record
  • Request Addressed to the Minister of Justice
  • Application addressed to the Registrar
  • Identity Card (original and photocopy)

Office Locations & Contacts

Ministry of Justice Contacts
General Secretary of the Supreme Council for Family Affairs
Tornado Tower, 42nd and 43rd floor – West Bay
P.O. Box: 22257
Doha – Qatar
Tel: +974 44040444
Fax: +974 44040420
Ads by Google


People choose to change their name for a variety of reasons. Maybe you just want to change the spelling of your name, you don’t like the name your parents gave you, you want to get rid of your middle name, you want to remove any family associations, or maybe you just want a change. You can legally change your first name, middle name or surname, or any combination of those.

Documents to Use

Application Form for Modifying Resident’s Details (Addition of New Born Baby, Separation From Passport, Transfer of Data, Change of Name, Change of Nationality, Change of Occupation, Modifying Sponsor’s Name, Loss of Passport or I.D Card).


How you should go about changing your name will depend upon which category you fit into. Changing your name after marriage or divorce is quite a simple process, while changing your name ‘just because’ requires a little more effort, but it is still quite straight forward and a lot easier than it used to be.

To change your name, submit a petition to your local Superior Court that details the reasons you’d like to change your name. After the court approves your request, you’ll then need to update your Social Security card, driver’s license and passport.

Required Information

  • Your name as listed on birth certificate or immigration or citizenship documents.
  • The full name you are applying to change to (if you are changing your name).
  • Date and place of birth
  • Marital status and details
  • Places of residence for last three months
  • Address for Correspondence

Need for the Document

If you are using, or wish to use, a name other than your registered name, there is no legal requirement that you formally change your name. It is, however, recommended that you change your name officially, both for identification and as evidence of your name change.

Name change generally refers to the legal act by a person of adopting a name different from their name at birth, marriage or adoption. The procedures and ease of a name change vary between jurisdictions.

Information which might help

Typically, you may legally change your name to whatever name you’d like. There are some exceptions, though:

  • You can’t change your name just to escape debt liability or to hide from criminal liability.
  • You can’t change your name in order to commit a crime.
  • You can’t change your name with the intention to mislead. This usually involves taking the name of a famous person. Courts typically do not allow this, unless you have a convincing reason that is not related to the famous person or the use of his or her name.
  • You can’t choose a confusing name one that includes numerals or punctuation. However, some courts have permitted people to spell out the numbers, for example “Seven” instead of “7”.
  • You can’t choose a name that would intimidate, offend, or be considered obscene.
  • You can’t choose a racial slur.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate

You may want to change your name because:

  • You have just gotten married
  • You have divorced
  • You just want a change
  • In case of adoption

External Links

The Ministry of Justice of Qatar

Government of Qatar

Directory Ministries


The most important thing to do to legally change your name is to start using your new name. Introduce yourself using your new name, fill out forms and applications under your new name, tell all of your family and friends to only refer to you using your new name, and tell your school and/or employer of your new name.

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name. However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

Once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, for example, publishing marriage bans, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing details on a driving licence or passport.

Like it? Share with your friends!