Visit Visas are applicable to tourists, who intend to spend more than 14 days in Qatar, and those coming for family visits as well as those on long-term business visit. It requires the sponsorship of a resident in Qatar or any company or hotel licensed to operate within the country.
The Interior Ministry in Qatar offers entry visas of various types, including, visa-on-arrival, visa-in-advance, electronic notification etc., based on the laws and decision. The applicant should possess a valid passport indicating minimum six month duration and a return ticket or onward ticket. Some countries may also require hotel reservation, cash or credit card too.
Visa-free entry to Qatar
Visitors from most countries in the world can now enter Qatar visa-free, or by just filling out an online application, depending on the passport they carry.
Nationals from more than 80 countries are allowed visa-free entry into Qatar, permitting varying stay duration. Nationals of these countries do not require a prior visa when visiting Qatar, and can obtain a visa waiver on arrival to Qatar, upon presenting a valid passport with a minimum validity of six months and a confirmed onward or return ticket.
Therefore, if you belong to the list of countries that are permitted visa-free entry, it means you do not have to make visa arrangement prior to your trip to Qatar, and you would be eligible for a visa waiver (a definite length of stay in the country without visa) upon arrival, free of charge.
Eligibility for visa-free entry on arrival in Qatar
Here’s the list of countries that are granted visa-free entry. Nationals from these countries are eligible for visa-free entry upon arrival in Qatar.
List of countries for 180-day (6 months) validity
If you are a national of any of the countries listed below, your visa waiver will have a validity of 180 days from the date of issuance, and the holder can spend upto 90 days in Qatar in a single trip, or on multiple trips.
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Czech Republic
- Dominican Republic
List of countries for 30-day validity
For nationals belonging to the below-listed countries, the visa waiver would be valid for 30 days from the date of issuance and the holder is entitled to stay for upto 30 days in Qatar during a single trip or on multiple trips. The waiver can be extended for another 30days.
- Costa Rica
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- San Marino
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Vatican City
- San Marino
- South Africa
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
- United States
- Vatican City
Pakistan nationals too can enter Qatar visa-free and spend upto 30 days in Qatar during single or multiple trips, and are given the option to extend for another 30 days, provided, they meet the following conditions:
- Should possess Passport with 6 months validity
- Should have confirmed return ticket
- Should present hotel booking confirmation and duration of stay
- Should have a valid credit card
- Those coming directly from Pakistan should produce certificate of vaccination against Polio.
- Duration of visa can be extended only after confirming the return ticket.
Visitors from all other nations who are not included in the above-said list of nations will have to obtain a visa prior to their arrival in Qatar.
Visas are not required for nationals of UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Sultanate of Oman, Saudi Arabia and residents of GCC or Arab States who hold prestigious positions including medical doctors, businessmen, engineers and people in such other authorized professions.
Confirm with your airline if you are valid for the visa on arrival, before paying for your airline ticket.
Visit Visa for GCC residents
GCC residents, who hold positions in approved professions and those accompanying them, can obtain a GCC Resident Visit Visa on arrival in Qatar.
However, to obtain this visa, they should have a GCC residence permit and passport with validity of at least six months. The visa will be valid for one month and can be extended for another 3 months if required. The applicant for such a visa should hold a return ticket.
The single-entry visa, which can be obtained for a QR100 fee, payable by Visa or Mastercard, holds a validity of 30 days and can be renewed for additional three months.
Visitors seeking to avail this visa scheme may be asked to present official documentation, stating their profession on entry into Qatar.
Terms and Conditions for visit visa for GCC residents:
- The profession of the applicant should be among the approved professions.
- The residence permit should hold 6 month validity
- The Passport should have a validity of 6 months.
- Accompaniers should be accompanied by the applicant
- Fee of QR100 by credit card
- A one month visa is granted upon entry, which can be renewed for three months by providing extension fee of QR100 by credit card for each month.
- The amount of fine for exceeding the period would be 200 riyals per day.
Family Visit Visa
Families of sponsored residents may enter Qatar on a short-term Family Visit Visa.
The visa holds one month validity. However, relatives who wish to stay beyond one month may have to undergo physical examination within the first 72 hours of arrival and seek an extension. The visa can be extended to maximum of six months (five months in cases of immediate family members and two months for second-degree relatives).
The second degree relative includes father, mother, sister and children, and can be extended for just two months in case of other relatives.
Visa Application Process
Expatriates visiting Doha are required to have a passport and a visa. Therefore, if planning a visit to Doha, begin the visa application process atleast a month in advance to your trip. In majority of the cases, applying for a visa is easy, and can be done online through the Ministry of Interior portal http://www.moi.gov.qa/site/english or through Hukoomi.
Here is the general OFFLINE procedure for family visit visas:
- Download and fill the application form at https://portal.moi.gov.qa/wps/wcm/connect/053b9185-c487-4510-aa0e-e8fd32363d0a/%D8%B7%D9%84%D8%A8+%D8%B3%D9%85%D8%A9+%D8%AF%D8%AE%D9%88%D9%84+-+%D8%AA%D9%85%D8%AF%D9%8A%D8%AF.pdf?MOD=AJPERES
- Attach the necessary documents such as copies of personal ID or passport of the resident husband and wife’s valid passport.
- Letter from husband’s employer declaring profession and salary.
- Copy of attested marriage certificate.
In case the visa is required for other relatives,
- Attach copies of personal ID or passport of sponsor and valid passport of the visitor
- Copy of sponsor’s wife’s passport with valid residence permit or residential tenancy contract.
- Letter from employer mentioning profession and salary
- Document to prove the relationship with visitor.
- Make two photocopies of your passport. Make the fee payment in the form of cheque or money order, payable to “Embassy of the State of Qatar.”
- Mail your application, passport, supporting materials such as three months bank statement of the applicant, the person’s residence permit copy, authentic proof of relation between applicant and the person, etc., and a prepaid envelope to the Embassy of Qatar at the address provided on the form. Else, you may wait until your arrival in the country and submit your documents at the airport, but it is better not to do this, as the country might deny your visa request.
- Most of all, your passport should hold a validity of at least six months or longer than duration of your trip, and should include blank visa pages.
- On approval of the visa, a Qatar visa will be affixed to a visa page in your passport. Your passport will be returned by mail using prepaid envelope you provided.
- An exit permit is required if the visa holderÂ is male and above 18 years, and will stay more than 30 days.
Online Family Visit Visa application procedure
- Residents can apply for family visit visas theough ‘Metrash 2 (https://portal.moi.gov.qa/wps/portal/MOIInternet/services/inquiries/visaservices)’ or ‘Interior Ministry’ (https://portal.moi.gov.qa/wps/wcm/connect/053b9185-c487-4510-aa0e-e8fd32363d0a/%D8%B7%D9%84%D8%A8+%D8%B3%D9%85%D8%A9+%D8%AF%D8%AE%D9%88%D9%84+-+%D8%AA%D9%85%D8%AF%D9%8A%D8%AF.pdf?MOD=AJPERES) website.
The electronic service enables residents to apply for visit visa for their father, mother, wife, children or relatives of the first and second grade relatives online. With this e-application service, the applicant can upload all the necessary documents in the allocated fields and even track the status of request, and pay the fee electronically once it is approved.
A fee of QR200 is applicable for each visa, with QR50 for each registered dependent or companion. The visa is extended against the same fee with overstay fine of QR200 being applicable per day.
All residents, except women and children sponsored by their father or husband, will require an exit visa before leaving Qatar. Exit permits are usually arranged by sponsors.
Authorized users can complete the procedure of exit visa online by logging on to http://portal.www.gov.qa/wps/portal/topics, or in person by going to MOI Passports and Airport Security Department. Else, there are immigration offices in Hamad Medical Corporation, Al Dayin, Al Khor, Al Shahaniya, Mesaimeer, Q-Post, Doha Industrial Area, Souq Waqif, Al Wakrah, Al Shamal, Dukhan, and Umm Salal.
Exit permits can be either single or multiple. For online applications, select the exit permit type, and fill in all required fields including the applicant ID and passport numbers and pay requisite fee.
Nationals of more than 80 approved countries can obtain Tourist Visa upon arrival. This visa can also be issued online prior to travel.
The general types of tourist visas are:
- Tourist visa through employer, wherein hotels, embassies and other authorized employers can arrange visas for nationals of the approved countries before they arrive in Qatar.
- Tourist visa through airline or hotels, wherein, the visa is granted to visitors of approved countries through authorized hotels operating in Qatar, or sponsoring residents with relationship to applicants through Qatar Airways. This is valid for one month and cannot be renewed.
- The third type is a Joint Tourist Visa that allows visitors to travel freely between Qatar and Oman. This is a one-month visa that is issued on arrival or online before arrival, and can be extended for another month. The fee for extension is QR100.
For obtaining tourist visa, fill in the application form and submit it through Hotel Manager or his representative. Attach other requisite documents such as passport copy of the visitor, original establishment ID card of hotel or tourist agency, and ID of the applicant.
Tourist visa issuance fee is QR100 for a visa and QR50 for accompanying person. Overstay will be charged a penalty of QR200 per day.
In cases of tourist visas being applied through Qatar Airways, the visiting person should be a relative or in-law of the sponsoring resident in Qatar, with first or second category relationship. Attach copy of the passport, and document that supports relationship like birth certificate or other official document, along with application form.
Transit travellers stopping at Doha International Airport for 6 hours or more are eligible for the two days transit visa, provided, they are sponsored by the Airlines, and their application confirms onward booking to a third destination.
You will have to apply for a transit visa before you travel. The visa holds validity for 24 hours and allows you to leave the airport transfers area and stay in Qatar.
Transit visa can be arranged by your local Qatari Embassy prior to travel. The Embassy staff and other authorized people can apply online for transit visa on behalf of the traveller.
This type of visa is ideal for people whos jobs require a short stay in Qatar.
It is now possible for nationals and residents to purchase an e-gate card prior to going on vacation. This can help avoid normal immigration hassles. The e-gate card can be inserted at the e-gate and you can place your finger on a biometric scanner. These cards can be obtained at the airport immigration office, located opposite the airport. However, make sure that you carry your ID card with you. The use of e-gate is free. There is no need to pre-register before you use the e-gate. It can be used when arriving or departing from Qatar. ID card holders over the age of 18 can use this.
Kindly note: Visa rules are subject to sudden change without warning. Kindly contact the embassy in your country or the relevant authority in Qatar, as that is the only source of information that can be relied upon. The validity period of a free visit visa on arrival is also subjected to change often.;