You may get a grant to cover some of your travel expenses if you normally live in England and: you’re studying abroad as part of your course, or on an Erasmus study or Erasmus work placement. you’re a medical or dental student studying abroad or attending a clinical placement


Application process varies for students applying from England (Student Finance England), Scotland (Students Awards Agency for Scotland), Wales (Student Finance Wales), or Northern Ireland (Student Finance Northern Ireland).

To help you inquire about how you can apply for a Travel Grant for students in your country you may use the contact information below.

Office Locations & Contacts


Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington DL1 9HJ

Telephone: 0300 100 0607
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm

Textphone: 0300 100 0622
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm


The Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Saughton House
Broomhouse Drive
EH11 3UT

The number you should call will depend on your course type or where you are studying. Contact numbers – details



Student Finance Wales
Telephone 0300 200 4050
Minicom 0300 100 1693

Opening hours are:
Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm
Saturday 9am to 1pm
Sunday Closed

PO Box 211
Llandudno Junction,
LL30 9FU


Northern Ireland

Student Finance Northern Ireland

Telephone Enquiries

  • Phone: 0300 100 0077
  • Minicom: 0300 100 0625 You must have access to a Minicom device in order to use this service

Opening hours
Monday to Friday – 8.00 am to 8.00 pm
Saturday and Sunday – 9.00 am to 4.00 pm



You may apply to obtain a grant to cover some of your travel expenses if you normally live in the UK and:

  • youre studying abroad as part of your course, or on an ERASMUS study or work placement
  • youre a medical or dental student studying abroad or attending a clinical placement in the UK


Travel Grant: You dont have to pay back a travel grant. The amount you will get depends on your total household income. This means your income, if you have one, combined with that of your parents or guardians, or spouse or partner if you live with them. Dont count income from other family members you live with.

You must pay the ?rst 303 of your travel costs – and your travel grant will be reduced by 1 for each 9.27 of household income over 39,796.

To those studying abroad: You can apply for:

  • up to 3 return journeys between your home and the overseas institution during a full academic year abroad
  • help with essential expenses, medical insurance and travel visas

You may be able to apply for your childrens travel costs if youre a single parent.

Medical or dental students doing a clinical placement in the UK: You can apply for travel costs between your home and the hospital or facility where youre doing your placement.

External Links

  • GOV.UK: