It is a legal requirement to hold a valid licence to drive in Qatar. The Traffic Department is the authorised
On arrival – 1 week rule
Visitors can drive for 1 week (7 days from arrival) on approved licences from few nations. Visit the Traffic Department at Madinat Khalifa (see map below) to check the validity of your nation of origin permit.
Temporary Driving Licence (valid for 3 months)- If you want to drive for longer than a week you can apply for a Temporary Licence which is valid for three months. It is possible to extend the licence when it expires.
How to apply for a temporary licence
- Fill in the application form and submit it along with the following documents to the Traffic Department (see map):
- Original licence from an approved country
- Passport – original and copies
- Three colour photos – passport size, white background. If you need to wear glasses while driving you must be wearing glasses in the photos.
International Driving Licence – valid for 6 months
A valid international driving licence can be used for up to six months from the date you enter the country.
In general, temporary and international licence holders are restricted to driving rental vehicles as insurance companies require drivers of privately-owned vehicles to hold a full licence.
The documents required for a temporary licence are:
- Complete the application form.
- Original licence from country of origin.
- Copy of your original licence.
- Original passport or your Qatar ID card.
- Passport copy.
- 3 passport photographs with a white background.
It is a legal requirement to hold a valid licence to drive in Qatar. The Traffic Department is the authorised authority for issuing driving licenses. If you wish to drive for longer than a week you can apply for a Temporary License which is valid for 3 months. It is possible to extend the license when it expires.
Apply in person
- Apply in person at the Madinat Khalifa Traffic Department at Khalifa Street you can you use Goole map or their address provided below in office and address section.
- Fill in the application form, which must be typed in Arabic and signed by the sponsor if you have entered the country on a business visa. Translation typing services are available on site for a small fee. The form can be downloaded in advance, but needs to be filled out at the Traffic Department.
- The officer will check your application and validate all the documents you have presented.
- Take the eye test and pay the application fees using credit cards since no cash is accepted at the counter.
- If your payment is accepted, you should be able to collect your temporary driver’s license on the following working day.
- Application form
- Original license issued from country of origin
- Original passport or your Qatar ID card
- Copy of passport
- Three passport photographs (note: if you usually wear glasses, wear them when you take those photographs)
Office Locations & Contacts
Madinat Khalifa Street, Doha
Phone : 44890666
Fax : 44872494
E-mail : email@example.com
Office open from 7:00-11.00 and 16.00-19.00
State of Qatar: Ministry of interior, department and committees contacts:Ads by Google
- Driving licenses issued from foreign countries are recognized as valid in Qatar. Those who wish to drive in the country are recommended to visit the Traffic Department within 15 days of arrival to verify the validity of their permits.
- Holders of approved licenses may drive in Qatar for one week. Drivers may also apply for a temporary Qatari Driving License,
- QR 150
- Temporary Qatari Driving License, is valid for three months and can be extended.