Passport for a Dual Citizen. Completed Application Form. Photo studio acknowledgement. Dual Citizenship Certificate with a photocopy. Foreign passport with any Sri Lankan passport if there is (with photocopy of Bio data pages) National Identity Card with a photocopy. Birth Certificate with a photocopy.
1.) Obtain application form in the following offices:
- Head office of the Department of Immigration & Emigration, Colombo
- Regional Offices at Kandy, Matara and Vavuniya
- Download printable versions of the Application Forms: http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=127&Itemid=105&lang=en
2.) Fill up and submit form along with all the required documents to the Head office of the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Colombo.
3.) Pay application fee.
- Current passport
- Original Birth Certificate of the applicant.
- Original National Identity Card of the applicant and a photocopy.
- Marriage certificate if applicable (for getting married name)
- A request letter from the Head of line ministry, Department or Provincial Council
If you already have a valid passport which belongs to M or N series (if the passport number begins with letters M or N) it should be submitted along with the application.
Office Locations & Contacts
Department of Immigration and Emigration
“Suhurupaya”, Sri Subhuthipura Road, Battaramulla
Hotline : 1962
Phone : 94-11-5329000 Hunting Line
Fax : 94-11-2674621
E-Mail : controller[at]immigration.gov.lk
Controller General of Immigration and Emigration & Commissioner for Registration of Persons of Indian Origin
Mr. M. N. Ranasinghe
Telephone : +94 11 5329400
Ext : 9400
Fax : 2674621
Email : controller[at]immigration.gov.lk
Additional Controller General
Mr P. V. Gunathilaka
Telephone : +94 11 5329450
Ext : 9450
Official Passports are issued to the following:
- Members of Provincial Councils
- Chairpersons of Local Government Bodies
- Officers of All Island Services
- Identified Staff of Members of Parliament
Internal Administration Circular 02/2008 for eligible officers list: http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/images/stories/pdf/official_passpory_english.pdf
- Normal Basis: LKR. 2500.00
- Urgent Basis: LKR. 7500.00
Currently issued N series passports are valid for 10 years unless otherwise specified.
- Normal Basis 10 working days
- Urgent Basis Same day
Need for the Document
A passport is a document, issued by the national government. It certifies the identity and nationality of the holder for travel abroad. It contains information about the holder; like name, gender, date and place of birth.
This document does not in itself entitle the passport holder entry into another country, nor consular protection while abroad nor any other privileges. However, it does normally allows the passport holder to return to the country where the passport was issued.
Rights to consular protection arises from international treaties, while the holder’s return to the issuing country depends on the laws prevailing in that country.
Sri Lanka issues Official Passports which are valid in all countries.
Information which might help
- Normal Processing Applications – from 8.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m.
- Urgent Basis Applications – from 8.00 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. On week days only.
The office closes on weekends and during Public Holidays.
- Department of Immigration and Emigration Sri Lanka: http://www.immigration.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=142&Itemid=191&lang=en#of