International Driver License (IDL)
Procedure International Driver License (IDL)
- Go to Sierra Leone Road Safety Authority office to inquire about the driver license application.
- Obtain a driver license application form and fill it out.
- Submit relevant documents with the completed form.
- Pay the fees at the finance department.
- After verification and approval, the International Driver License will be issued to you.
All documents must be original.
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Proof of address (utility bill, rental agreements)
Office Locations & Contacts
Sierra Leone Road Safety Authority
Kissy Road, Freetown
Tel: +232 76 954 803
Toll Free: 2244 (Emergency/Enquiries)
Mondays until Fridays
8:00am – 5:30pm
- The applicant must be at least 16 years of age.
- All new applicants must complete the required written, vision and skills test administered by the Sierra Leone State Police before obtaining a license.
- If the applicant is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the driver license application form.
- If the applicant is under the age of 18, a School Compliance Verification form from the student’s school district must be presented.
Sierra Leone’s International Driver License is compulsory for one month to drive in Sierra Leone; after that term, Sierra Leone driver license is required.
- New drivers must pass a vision, written and skills test to be issued a driver license.
- No tests are required for persons transferring to Sierra Leone. with valid driving privileges, except persons transferring from foreign countries.
- No testing is required for persons suspended less than one year.
- Eye and written tests are required for drivers suspended for more than one year.
- Any driver suspended or expired for more than five (5) years will start as a new driver.
- All driver testing is performed by the Sierra Leone Road Safety Authority Officer on scheduled days at Sierra Leone Road Safety Authority office.
- Applicants full legal name.
- Applicants date of birth.
- Applicants Social Security number.
- Proof of the applicants Sierra Leone residency
Need for the Document
An International Driver License is an identity document that allows the holder to drive a private motor vehicle in any country that recognizes IDLs.
Information which might help
An International driving license is compulsory for one month to drive in Sierra Leone; after that term Sierra Leone driver license is required. Driver licenses issued by other countries may be recognized for conversion into a Sierra Leone driver license.