Fire arms and ammunition require a police permit. … Same regulations as for passengers apply. … Baggage is cleared at the first airport of entry in Kenya.
Step 1.The first step is to make written application to the Firearm Licensing Authority in Kenya under the Ministry of interior through Kenya embassy in your country of origin.Guns in Kenya are regulated by the chief licensing officer, appointed by the Commissioner of Police.Guiding gun control legislation in Kenya includes the Firearms Act, 1954. that such firearm or ammunition that can be permitted into Kenya that is generally recognized as those only for particularly suitable for sporting purposes; excluding surplus military firearm.
Step 2. Then you will be issued with an application form that will require your bio-data fill it and attach the following documents. Some of the pertinent information required are:(i) Your full names and personal bio-data.(ii) Address including your physical location in your home country.(iii) Reasons for applying for an Entry permit of Firearm.(iv) Date of Birth.(V) Declaration for that such importation would not constitute a violation of any provision of the Firearms Act,of 1954.
Step 3. Further required to accompany the application form is a permit to possess a firearm in your home Country. Attach a permit that allow you to hold a gun in your home country.A person not meeting the above criteria may not be granted permission to import firearms licensee to effect the importation, provided that the firearm is importable.
A Local permit is required for a firearm or ammunition brought into the Kenya or any possession thereof by any person who can establish to the satisfaction of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) that such firearm or ammunition was previously taken out of the Kenya or any possession thereof by such person.
Step 4. A medical report is also required to accompany the the applicant On the basis of good management of medical record of the person applying for a Entry permit license, one can easily obtain the ways of rendering services, standard of service, diagnosis pattern, style of treatment and managerial functioning pursued by the concerned health institutions.
Step 5 . Four (4) clear passport photograph of the applicant is also required.
Step 6. The Authorities in Kenya will register your serial number of the weapon Firearms or ammunition which an individual acquired for use (for example, Hunting or bird shooting or protection)The firearms and/or ammunition may not be transferred to another person within Kenya. This permit does not authorize the importation of a shotgun with a barrel of less than 18 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches.
Step 7. Upon a satisfactory appraisal of the application the permit is issued in a booklet form, bearing one of the passport photographs of the applicant and carrying the stamp of the Country police headquarters.
The holder of this permit MUST take the firearms and any unused ammunition back out of the territorial limits kenya upon the conclusion of his/her hunting or sporting activity.
NB. The permit Authorized the applicant of the firearms, carry his /her gun up to the Boarder entry and must,handed to the authorities on arrival. All arms and ammunition, including spear guns, must be handed to the police or customs on arrival and a receipt obtained. The bonded firearms will be returned on departure.
N.B. In Kenya, the right to private gun ownership is not guaranteed by law.
- In Kenya, civilians are not allowed to possess long-guns but they can carry small arms that are hand-held firearms-such as revolvers, self-loading pistols, rifles, submachine-guns, assault rifles, and light machine-guns-designed for use by one person.3 Light weapons, a closely-related category, are designed for use by several persons serving as a crew in Kenya.
Ads by Google
- 4 Passport sized photographs
- Attested copy of address proof: Ration Card, Voter Identity Card, Passport, Electricity/ Water/Telephone Bill, Driving Licence, Property (House) Tax, Tax Return, National identification Card
- Attested copy of date of birth: Police clearance Certificate, Birth certificate, Affidavit sworn before a Magistrate/Notary stating date and place of birth by illiterate or semi-illiterate applicants.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government
State Department of Interior
Harambee House, Harambee Avenue
P.O Box 30510,00100 Nairobi.
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
website: http://www.interior.go.keMinistry of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
Old Treasury Building, Harambee Avenue
P.O Box 30551 00100 G.P.O
Tel: +254 20 318888
Website: http://www.mfa.go.keAds by Google
- All Foreigners and Resident of Kenya with a Entry pass of Guns or Ammunition license are Eligible.
- Foreigner tourist must have a tourist visa before securing a Ammunition permit in Kenya.
Valid for a period of 90 days
processing take 60 days
- Foreign citizens should take responsibility for their own personal security while traveling to Kenya.
- Foreign travelers should exercise caution and are strongly encouraged to register with their home Embassy prior to or immediately upon their arrival.
- Firearms must be bonded and are held by the proper authorities until time of departure.However Import of all firearms, including sporting guns, is prohibited in Kenya.
- You will need a permit to own any gun in Kenya. Firearms should be licensed and must be securely locked on board, under the captain’s control only.
- At times Fire arms must be declared and if customs are satisfied that they are safely secured, you may be allowed to keep them on board.
- A list of firearms, with their type and details, must be handed to the authorities on arrival at the port of Entry in Kenya.
- Where any firearm or ammunition, not being a firearm or ammunition the importation of which is for the time being
prohibited under subsection (2), is imported for the personal use of the owner thereof but without an import permit under this section having been previously obtained authorizing the importation thereof, the importation shall not be deemed to contravene the provisions of the section if the firearm or ammunition on importation is left in customs control until an import permit under this section is obtained in respect of the importation thereof.
- Personal Information
- Occupation/Employment Information
- Particulars of Firearm
- Spousal Information
- Next of Kin
- Particulars of Applicant
Ads by Google
Need for the Document
Non-immigrant visitors entering the Kenya with firearms or ammunition must surrender their firearms at the arrival port of entry.It is not easy to obtain a Gun permit into Kenya.They should inquire through their country’s embassy or consulate about the permit required. Some countries impose a stiff prison term for importing illegal firearms.
No person shall import or export any firearm or ammunition save under and in accordance with the terms of an import or export permit issued by an authorized officer.
Diplomats, foreign law enforcement officials and visiting dignitaries designated by the Kenya Department of State are not exempt from this requirement when bringing a gun for hunting purposes.
Information which might help
- Much of East Africa and the Horn of Africa is flooded with guns, predominantly small arms, and a large number of those weapons spill over into Kenya illegally . Since the late 1970s the countries bordering Kenya to the north (Ethiopia, Somalia, Sudan, and Uganda) have experienced long periods of unrest and internal armed conflict.
- During the cold war these wars were fueled in part by the huge quantities of arms pumped into East Africa by the United States, the Soviet Union, and their allies.
- The torrent of free or subsidized arms flowing to the African continent subsided significantly after the end of the cold war, but large quantities of arms have continued to pour into the region from numerous arms producers, including China, Bulgaria, and other countries of central and eastern Europe.
- The patterns of weapons movements largely reflect the situation of widespread armed conflict in the region. Somalia has been a prominent source of arms since the early 1990s.