How do I apply for refugee status in Egypt? You will need to fill in a Registration Form, which is available FREE OF CHARGE at UNHCR.
- Applicant files a refugee relative petition along with documents verifying relationship for instance marriage certificates and birth certificates;
- Documents are viewed by the authorized office to confirm relationships and eligibility;
- After viewing documents are either approved or rejected;
- If approved, the application is then forwarded to the immigration office or appropriate embassy.
- Beneficiaries are interviewed to verify identity.
Ads by Google
- Identification cards
- Marriage certificates
- Birth certificates
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Manpower and Immigration
DR. Nahed ElAshry img
Address 3 Youssief Abaas St Nasr City Cairo
Phone no. 22609366 – 22609368 – 22618019
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Mr. Nabil Fahmyimg
Address Masbero-Kornish El Nile St.Cairo
Phone no. 25749817
- People resettled in Egypt as refugees or who have been granted asylum can apply for their spouse or minors and it should be within two (2) years.
- Those adjusted to permanent resident after previously having had the status of refugee or asylum
You must receive a referral to the Refugee Admissions Program for consideration as a refugee
Free of Charge
Valid for 2 years then a renewal is required.
The process usually takes 3 to 6 months
- Beneficiaries must meet the normal standards for refugees regarding excludability.
- Applicant must have received his / her status through adjudication not derivative basis.
- Should be filled within two years.
- Beneficiaries are spouse, children under 18 and even if not married.
- Asylum seekers must prove that they have a well-founded fear of future persecution for instance based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, and/or political opinion.;
- The persecution must either be carried out by the government or a group the government cannot control.
- A person who is granted political asylum may remain in the Egypt indefinitely and may apply for #permanent residence after one year;
- Dependants above eighteen (18) years apply independently;
- Conform to all laws and regulations of the country;
- Conform to all measures taken for the maintenance of public order;
- Should not engage in activities which may endanger state security, harm public interest or #disrupt public order;
- Should into engage in any political activities;
- Should not undertake any activities against another country;
- If engaged in gainful employment, one is obliged to pay taxes accordingly.
- Detailed information of applicant;
- Contact address
- Date of birth of applicant
- Relationship details with beneficiary
- Details of beneficiary
- Age of beneficiary
Need for the Document
To be eligible for consideration for a Refugee program, an applicant must meet the definition of a refugee. A person outside of his/her country of nationality or outside his/her habitual residence, who is unwilling or unable to return to that country because of persecution or a well-founded fear of persecution based on race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group or political opinion. In addition, he/she must be able to establish that he/she is not already firmly resettled in a foreign country and must fall within certain refugee processing priorities.
- According to section 101(a)(42) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
- A refugee does not include anyone who ordered, incited, assisted, or otherwise participated in the persecution of any person on account of race, religion, nationality, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion.
Information which might help
The processes enable beneficiaries to:-
- Stay in Egypt indefinitely
- Work and study in Egypt
- Enroll in any schemes for some social services like health-related care and expenses
- Access certain social security payments
- Apply for Egyptian citizenship (after you have lived in Egypt for four years)
- Propose family members for permanent residence
- Attend Arabic language classes.
- If you are a refugee in the Egypt and want your family members who are abroad to join you, then you can do so by filing a separate application thereafter.