How to Apply for a permit to Filming a National Park and National Reserve in Kenya

4 min


Formal letter of applicationApplication form duly completed copy to be attached. List of foreign crew members giving names, nationalities, passport numbers and date of expiry of passports. List of equipment to be imported for shooting purposes, the value of each piece of equipment, etc.


  • Filming in National Parks and National Reserves is guided by the Film and Stage Plays Act (Chapter 222). Upon production of a filming permit from the Ministry of Information and Communication, and subsequent payment of prescribed filming fees, KWS shall issue a permit to film in National Parks and National Reserves under its jurisdiction. However, where a filming crew is large (more than 10 persons) and the filming activities are likely to have significant negative impacts on the environment, KWS may subject issuance of the filming authority to conditions it may deem fit.
  • Notwithstanding anything contained in the Films and Stage Plays Act, no person shall in a National Park make any cinematograph film for sale or other commercial use unless the filming licence issued under that Act has been produced to the Director and the Director has,upon payment of the prescribed fee, given his written authorization,subject to such conditions as he may think necessary, to the making of the film
  • The request will be subjected to environmental impact assessment and 15% conservation fees paid directly the Warden of the Park for conservation/ restoration of the environment. The 15% conservation fee is relative to the total amount of fees paid during the filming exercise and includes gate entry for persons and vehicles, guiding and any service provided by the Warden. The filming fee is payable at the KWS Headquarters Licensing Office.
  • Every application for a filming licence shall be made to the licensing officer in writing and shall be accompanied by a full description of the scenes in,and the full text of the spoken parts (if any) of, the entire film which is to be made,notwithstanding that part of the film is made or to be made outside Kenya:
  • Provided that the licensing officer may in his discretion in any particular case accept an application notwithstanding that it is not accompanied by such description and text if he has been given such other information as he requires for the determination of the application.
  • If any title, sub-title, text, description,synopsis or other part of the film is in a language other than English, the licensing officer may require a translation thereof into English, certified to his satisfaction, or may submit then same for the examination and report of such persons as he may appoint for the purpose.
  • The licensing officer may, in his discretion, issue or refuse to issue a filming licence for which application has been made to him under this Act, or may issue it subject to the condition that a police officer of or above the rank of Inspector, or other person appointed for the purpose by the licensing officer, shall be present at the making of the film, and to such other conditions as he may think.
  • Before granting a filming license, the licensing officer may require the applicant to enter into a bond, with or without sureties in such sum (not exceeding such amount as is prescribed)as the licensing officer may require, to secure that the film, so far as it is made, is made in accordance with
  • (a) the conditions (if any) contained in the licence; and
  • (b) the description, text and other

information supplied to the licensing officer, with any alterations and additions for which permission has been granted under section 7 of this Act.

  • The decision of the licensing officer on the application shall be endorsed on the filming license, and if permission is granted there shall also be endorsed any condition which is attached to the permission.

Ads by Google

Required Documents

  • A valid passport ,
  • Filming licence,
  • rifle details,
  • Filming pass
  • Filming equipments Details.
  • Formal letter of application.
  • Application form duly completed copy to be attached.
  • List of foreign crew members giving names, nationalities, passport numbers and date of expiry of passports.
  • Script and synopsis or storyboard
  • List of equipment to be imported for shooting purposes, the value of each piece of equipment, etc.

Office Locations & Contacts

Kenya Film Commission,

P.O. Box 76417-00508 Jumuia Place,

Lenana Road, Nairobi, Kenya.

Office Tel: +254 020 2714073 / 4

Office Cell:+254 729 407497,733 650068

Fax: +254 020 2714075

Email:info@filmingkenya.comThe Permanent Secretary

Ministry of Information & Broadcasting

PO Box 30025 Nairobi, Kenya

Tel: 00254 2 217475/228411/222073KENYA WILDLIFE SERVICESHeadquartersKenya Wildlife Service

P.O. Box 40241 – 00100 Nairobi Kenya

Tel: +254 (20) 6000800,

+254 (20) 6002345

Fax: +254 (20) 6003792KWS Training CentersKenya Wildlife Service Training Institute

P.O. Box 842-20117 Naivasha

Tel: +254 (50) 2021329,

+254 (50) 2020267, +254 (50) 2020557

Fax: +254 (50) 2021328

Mobile: + 254 700 000 321

Email: kwsti@kws.go.keFlying ServicesKenya Wildlife Services Airwing

Kenya Wildlife Service Wilson Airport

P.O. Box 54582 00200 Nairobi

Tel: +254 (20) 6009451, +254 (20) 6009703

Fax +254 (20) 6009648


kws@karibunet.comAds by Google


  • All Foreigners and Resident of Kenya with a Filming permit or license are Eligible.
  • Foreigner tourist must have a tourist visa


  • Less than 30 minutes 700 KSHS
  • 30-60 minutes 900 KSHS
  • 60-90 minutes 1,200 KSHS
  • Over 90 minutes 1,400 KSHS

Liaison Officers Service Charges

  • The Ministry charges Ksh.400 per day to cover Liaison Officers services provided by a Government Liaison Officer, to be attached to the crew


  • Each visitor is required to pay Ksh.1,500 to the Immigration Department for a special pass before engaging in any film shooting.
  • A non-refundable fee of 1% of the value of the equipment is payable to the Customs Department on presentation of a film license.
  • The following charges are applied for any filming in a National Park: Ksh.8,000 for five (5) people for one (1) week or part thereof. Ksh.12,000 for six (6) ten (10) people for one (1) week or part thereof.
  • Ksh.20,000 for more than ten (10) people for one (1) week or part thereof.
  • Residents Game License K Sh 5,000.00 p.a.
  • Visitors Game License US $ 100 p.a. or part therof
  • Professional Hunters Licence (Birds) K Sh 10,000.00 p.a.
  • Bird shooting Block Booking- Residents K Sh 300 per gun/block/day
  • Bird shooting Block BookingVisitors US $ 50 per gun/block/day
  • Bird shooting test- Game License K Sh 500.00
  • Professional hunters (birds) license test K Sh 500,00

No. of persons in crew Fee per week or part thereof

  • 1-5 persons K Sh. 8,000.00
  • 6-10 persons K Sh 12,000.00
  • 11- 20 persons K Sh 20,000.00


Valid for 3-6 months

Processing Time

2-3 months


  • The person applying for Filming permit in Kenya must apply in Person.
  • The applicant must apply for a Filming license in Kenya before involving in a National Park filming.
  • The applicant must obtain a Filming pass.
  • No film shall be made otherwise than in accordance with the particulars furnished to the licensing officer, except in so far as permission to make alterations or additions has been granted under section 7.
  • Where any film in respect of which a filming license has been issued is made in contravention of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section, the producer, the proprietor, the promoter and the photographer thereof, and every other person engaged in the making of the film, and, where the holder of the filming license is not one of the aforesaid persons, the holder also, shall each be guilty of an offence.

Required Information

  • The Filming license,
  • The Filming equipment
  • Information on special safari vehicles,
  • The deluxe tents,
  • Information on foods and drinks while in Hunting
  • The transports and transfers during the hunting period,
  • Information on reception services at arrival and departure at the Nairobi Airport as well as all taxes for the Government explorers going with the Filming group.
  • Packing and shipment of the trophies.

Ads by Google

Need for the Document

Filming in National Parks and National Reserves is guided by the Film and Stage Plays Act (Chapter 222). An Act of Parliament to provide for controlling the making and exhibition of cinematograph films, for the licensing of stage plays, theaters and cinemas; and for purposes incidental thereto and connected therewith.

Useful External Links

Like it? Share with your friends!