passport in Sierra Leone
- As a Government Policy, embassies no longer processes application for the issuance and renewal of passports. Sierra Leone Passports are only issued and renewed by the Immigration Department in Freetown.
- Sierra Leoneans wishing to obtain or renew their passports can purchase the application form from the Embassy .
- After completing the form, applicants are to send the form to Freetown for the application to be processed by the Immigration Department at their own expense.
- Submit completed application forms and all attachments in person to the Inside Investigation Unit – Room 203. The officer in charge shall examine in your presence that, there are no mistakes and interview dates indicated on Applicants reference details.
Interviews take place on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays in Room 202, commencing at 9 am.
Approved Forms are paid for at the Finance Office Counter – Room 201 and date of collection of Passport will be given.
1. To prove citizenship, provide any of the following:
- Birth certificate
- National Identity Card
- Previous passport of a citizen by birth or previous passport with a certificate of naturalised citizenship
- Marriage certificate of a married woman
- Student ID card from his/her institution
- Change of name other than marriage or adoption must be substantiated by the production of evidence showing that a bonafide change has been made
2. Three recent passport-sized photographs on white background (without hat or sunglasses)
3. A guarantor or recommender must be one of the following:
- A Magistrate or Justice of the Peace or Commissioner of Oath
- A minister of religion
- A Govern or Native Administration Official holding a senior appointment
- A senior official of a bank or other reputable commercial firm established in Sierra Leone
- A senior police officer (Superintendent and above)
- A senior army officer (Superintendent and above)
- A principal, headmaster or headmistress
- A Member of Parliament
- A Paramount Chief or any person of similar standing
- Any person especially recognised by the issuing authority for this purpose
- A senior civil servant (executive officer and above)
- Recognised professionals (e.g. barristers, solicitors, doctors, engineers, surveyors, accountant, etc.)
- Heads of parastatals
Note: A member of applicants family will not be accepted as a guarantor/recommender.
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation
OAU Drive | Tower Hill
Freetown | Sierra Leone
Phone: +232 79 242 276
All citizens of Sierra Leone either by birth or naturalization are eligible
The present cost of a Sierra Leone Ordinary Passport is Le 750,000 (seven hundred fifty thousand Leones).
Passport are valid for 5 yrs and should be renewed
The Passport shall be ready for collection within 72 hours of effecting payment.
Collect Passports at Room 209 Second Floor on the following days and time:
Mondays Fridays: 10:00am-1:30pm, 2pm- 4pm Saturdays: 11:00am-2pm
- Application Forms for resident applicants are sold at the Finance Office Counter: 201 Immigration Department, 15 Siaka Stevens St., Freetown. Or at the embassies abroad
- The present cost of the Form is Le 2,000 (two thousand Leones) for resident applicants.
- Erasures on forms will cause such application to be rejected.
- Applicant name
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Id no
Need for the Document
Sierra Leonean passports are issued to Sierra Leonean citizens for travel outside of Sierra Leone.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- Used for identification
- Used as a proof of citizenship