Hamad International Airport (HIA) is Qatar’s new airport, opened in 2014 next to the city of Doha and the glittering Arabian Gulf. The architecturally stunning, supremely efficient and truly welcoming airport is a genuine gateway to the world, serving over 360,000 flights and 30 million passengers every year.
Hamad International Airport promises to redefine the way its passengers experience one of the world’s most rapidly developing business and travel destinations. Located conveniently within an eight-hour flight for more than two-thirds of the global population, HIA is ideal for business or leisure travelers. Strategically located between the world’s established and emerging financial centers, Doha is the ideal hub for both business and leisure travel.
The new airport is currently the home of five-star airline Qatar Airways, which has been operating out of Doha International Airport for 17 years. The fastest growing carrier believes that the move will offer passengers ‘a new standard at international level.
HIA has unparalleled operational efficiency with frequent flight schedules, quick connection times and efficient passenger and cargo processing. It features advanced airport operating systems in all areas of security, safety, aviation technology, facilities and passenger convenience.
Ensuring all aircrafts land and take off safely, HIA’s state-of-the-art air navigation, radar and communication equipment is housed in its magnificent, crescent-shaped air traffic control tower, which sits between two parallel runways. The tower provides visitors with an unmistakable welcome to Qatar and the Middle East.
HIA offers passengers an airport experience that is different and thought-provoking. It hosts permanent and temporary art exhibitions to celebrate the region’s heritage and culture.
Located exactly where east meets west, HIA can connect you to countless cities around the globe – swiftly, smoothly and seamlessly.
Facts & Figures
- HIA can welcome 30 million passengers a year. Soon this will be 50 million.
- Of HIA’s two runways, the western one is the eighth longest in the world (4850 meters).
- Every hour 100 take-off and landing movements are possible. That means five planes every three minutes.
- HIA’s 600,000 sq. meters passenger terminal is Qatar’s biggest building.
- The check-in hall alone is 25,000 sq. meters of airy, column-free space.
- It has an incredible 138 check-in counters. 14 of these are styled as private booths (for Qatar Airways First Class passengers).
- HIA’s maintenance hangar is the world’s largest and can take up to 13 aircrafts at once.
- This is the first airport ever designed specifically for the A380.
- HIA’s baggage handling system can handle 5000 bags an hour, or 120,000 a day.
- During construction over 6.2 million cubic meters of waste material was removed, desalinated and used as landfill – the Gulf’s largest such environmental project.
In brief, Hamad International Airport has strengthened Qatar’s position as an active player in supporting air traffic movement on the map of the global air travel industry. As the international gateway to Qatar and to the rest of the world, the airport’s state-of-the-art facilities, welcoming atmosphere and friendly personnel will redefine the way its passengers travel and do business. HIA is a part of Qatar National Vision 2030, which focuses on human, social, economic and environmental development.
For more information, visit the Hamad International Airport (HIA) website.