Education in South Sudan is modelled after the educational system of the Republic of Sudan. Primary education consists of eight years, followed by four years of secondary education, and then four years of university instruction; the 8 + 4 + 4 system, in place since 1990. The primary language at all levels is English, as compared to the Republic of Sudan, where the language of instruction is Arabic. There is a severe shortage of English teachers and English-speaking teachers in the scientific and technical fields.
The Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology is a ministry of the Government of South Sudan. South Sudan strives to promote more efficient tertiary education institutions that innovate and respond positively to meaningful performance-based allocation of resources and accountability systems.
South Sudan Universities
Today there are several public universities operating in South Sudan. South Sudan’s government aims to implement stringent and strict requirements in order to ensure the continuation and opening of private South Sudan universities and colleges.
Dr. John Garang Memorial University of Science and Technology
Dr. John Garang Memorial University of Science and Technology is a government founded institution of higher learning. It bears the name of late the Dr. John Garang de Mabior, the founder and long-term leader of Sudan People’s Liberation Movement.
- John Garang University of Science and Technology, Bor, 2006
- Rumbek University, Rumbek, 2010
- University of Bahr El-Ghazal, Wau
- University of Juba, 1977
- University of Northern Bahr El-Ghazal, Aweil, 2011
- Upper Nile University, Malakal, 1991
- Akobo Heritage and Memorial University, Akobo
- Kuda University, Bulluk, Ministries Road (next to KCB) Juba, South Sudan
- Bentiu Heritage & Memorial University, planned to be based in Bentiu
- Catholic University of South Sudan, Juba and Wau, 2008
- Mikese University College Yambio South Sudan Founded 2008 Started as internet cape
- Ebony University, based in Greater Bahr-el-Ghazal, Wau
- South Sudan Christian University]] Juba, founded in 2010
- St. Mary’s University in Juba]], Juba, 2009
- Yei Agricultural and Mechanical University]], Yei
- Star international university founded in 2016 Affiliate to Bosoga university Uganda) Juba south Sudan
- Starford International University College founded in 2016*
- Kampala University South Sudan Center founded in 2015*
- University of Faith, Center established 2014*
Islamic University of South Sudan established 2012