The higher education system comprises 13 public universities, 8 private universities, and 211 private institutes and schools. Public universities are free, except for Al Akhawayn University and the International University of Rabat, which are tuition-based. Higher education is governed by the Ministry of Higher Education, Research, and Training.
Admission to public Morocco universities requires only a baccalaureate, whereas admission to other higher public universities, such as engineering schools, require competitive special tests and special training before the exams.
A growing field apart from engineering and medicine is business management. Generally, an undergraduate business degree requires four years and an average of two years for Master’s degree. Universities in Morocco have also started to incorporate the use of information and communication technology where a number of universities have started providing software and hardware engineering courses as well.
The government has taken several reforms to improve the access of education and reduce regional differences in the provision of education. The higher education system in Morocco consists of both private and public institutes. There are 14 public Morocco universities in addition to a large number of private Morocco universities.
Al Akhawayn University
Al Akhawayn University in Ifrane is an independent, public, not-for-profit, coeducational, Moroccan university committed to educating future citizen-leaders of Morocco and the world through a globally oriented, English -language, liberal arts curriculum based on the American system.
Abdelmalek Essaâdi University
Abdelmalek Essaâdi University is a public university in Tetuan, Morocco, with a branch in Tangier. The university includes the following faculties and schools:
- Faculty of Sciences
- National School of Applied Sciences, Tetuan Campus
- Polydisciplinary Faculty
- National School of Applied Sciences, Tangier Campus
- Faculty of Sciences and Technology
The National Schools and the faculty of science and technology deliver a state engineering degree. The other faculties deliver either a Bachelor (Licence) or a Master degree.
Cadi Ayyad University
Cadi Ayyad University, is a university in Marrakesh, one of the major universities of Morocco. Established in 1978, Cadi Ayyad University has effectively implemented since its inception to face joint challenges of massive growth in student numbers and changes in social demand for education and research.The scope of its disciplinary expertise has expanded over the years, at the same time as asserted his vocation to prepare students for new professions.
Chouaib Doukkali University
Founded in 1985 in the heart of the city of El Jadida, the Chouaïb Doukkali University was founded with two universities, the Faculty of Science and the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences. The Faculty of Science is an academic institution that offers basic training in open access and professional programs as synergy with regional and national economic needs. The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences provides innovative basic and multidisciplinary professional training.
The SIST University is the first British University in Morocco which started in 2001 in Casablanca, 2011 in Rabat and 2013 in Tangier. The university offers a British Academic curricular delivered exactly as it is in the mother university with the same core modules and guaranteed quality that is controlled by the mother universities.
Université Internationale de Casablanca
Université Internationale de Casablanca is a licensed private university in Casablanca, Morocco, which opened in September 2010. The university awards more than 25 degrees and certificates through four faculties and divisions: health sciences, engineering, business management, and hospitality and athletic management, and 17 subdivisions.
The Mundiapolis University of Casablanca
The Mundiapolis University of Casablanca was founded in 2009 as the first private university in Morocco. It is the result of a constructive evolution, reflecting its expertise and 17 years of experience in higher education.
Private University of Marrakech
Since 2006, the Private University of Marrakech has become a major player in higher education in Morocco. Its structure, operation, the richness and diversity of its teaching and the teaching methods applied clearly distinguish.
University of Rabat
Since its first years of existence, the University of Rabat has become an example of an innovating highly attractive institution, renowned for its professionalism and thoroughness at national and international levels. The University established the first public-private partnership in the field of higher education in Morocco enabling the university to achieve all its goals of excellence, training, research and to contribute to the socio-economic development of the Kingdom and the region.
Higher Institute of Applied Informatics and Management
Known as the ISIAM (Higher Institute of Applied Informatics and Management), it was created in 1989and was the first private higher education institute in Morocco to adopt a North American education system. The success ISIAM’s educational model is illustrated in the international fame allowing the university to recruit students from more than 17 African countries. ISIAM strives to support economic actors in the region to address the structural and cyclical challenges.
- Université Mohammed VI des Sciences de la Santé, Casablanca
- Université Mohammed VI Polytechnique, Benguerir
- Abdelmalek Essaâdi University, Tétouan – Tanger
- Al Akhawayn University, Ifrane
- Cadi Ayyad University, Marrakesh
- Chouaib Doukkali University, El Jadida
- Hassan II Mohammedia University, Mohammedia
- Hassan Premier University, Settat
- Ibn Tofail University, Kenitra
- Ibnou Zohr University, Agadir
- Mohamed Premier University, Oujda
- Mohammed V University, Rabat
- Moulay Ismail University, Meknès
- Sidi Mohamed Ben Abdellah University, Fez
- Université Moulay Slimane (formerly called Cadi Ayyad University until late 2007), Beni Mellal
- University of Al Quaraouiyine, Fes
- University of Hassan II Casablanca Ain Chok, Casablanca
Public-Private partnership universities
- Mohammed VI Polytechnic University, Benguerir
- Université Internationale de Rabat, Salé
- IIHEM – International Institute for Higher Education in Morocco, Rabat
- Marrakesh Tensift El Haouz, Marrakesh
- Mundiapolis Université Privée, Casablanca
- Private International Institute of Management and Technology, Rabat, Casablanca, Marrakesh
- SIST – British University, Rabat, Casablanca, Tangier
- Universiapolis-Université Internationale d’Agadir, Agadir
- Université Internationale de Casablanca, Casablanca
- Université Privée de Fès (UPF), Fez
- Université polythechnic de benguerire, Benguerire