Making a mailing list in Gmail is extremely useful if you’d like to send the same email to several different contacts. Luckily, Google has been kind enough to build this feature right into the Gmail web-client and we’re going to show you how to set one up.
How to create a mailing list in Gmail
- Head on over to the Google Contacts Page
- Move your mouse over the contacts you’d like on the list, and click on the tick box that appears to include them.
- At the top right of the screen, you’ll find the ‘Labels’ icon. It looks like a thick arrow pointing to the right.
- When the drop down box appears, click ‘Create Label’ and enter a name for your mailing list such as ‘family’ – and click OK.
How to send an email to a mailing list in Gmail
- Once you have created your mailing list, you’ll then want to send out an email to them. Follow the steps below to do just that.
- Head over to Gmail and click the ‘Compose’ button on the left-hand side.
- In the field where you would usually type an e-mail address, enter the name of your new mailing list – Gmail will pop up with a box and display that mailing list with a couple of the contacts within it.
- Select your mailing list from this helpful pop-up box.
- You’ll see your new mailing list in the ‘To’ box at the top of the email.
- Create your email as you would like, and when you’re done hit ‘send’. This will send the email to everyone on the mailing list you had selected.
It really is as simple as that. You can always edit your mailing list at any time by going back to your Google Contacts Page, finding your mailing list and removing or adding names.
Gmail is one of the most used and preferred email clients around the world. Every now and then one needs to send an email to multiple people at once. While sending a group email in Gmail is a tedious task, there are tools that will ease your job.
In this blog, we are going to show you how to create a group email in Gmail using both methods: First is the professional and effective method that requires a specialized tool and gives you scalable reports while the other method is the native method (advisable to be followed if you send group emails occasionally and don’t require recipient’s engagement data).
There are two ways to create a Gmail group.
Here we are going to demonstrate how to create a mailing list/ a group email in Gmail using both methods, in a quick and easy to understand step by step format. But before we kick off with the “How to,” let’s quickly go through why having a mailing list in Gmail is great, especially for business cases.
Benefits of Creating Group Email/Mailing List in Gmail:
- Saves time and makes it easier to communicate with multiple groups of contacts frequently
- It is a great way to easily distribute your content at scale
- Segmenting audience lists is an effective way to generate more result driven email marketing campaigns
- Also, an excellent way to keep in touch with relatives, friends and social and work circle
How to Create a Group Email in Gmail: The Professional Method
If you plan on creating and send group emails periodically for an organizational or a business purpose then this method will ensure a productive, scalable and goal-driven approach to your group email campaigns.
Using a cloud-based, specialized and easy to use contact and email outreach managing tool like SalesHandy, a professional can effortlessly create multiple email contact groups and effectively send or automate sending personalized emails to thousands of recipients in multiple email groups at the same time. On top of that, you get to know the most engaged recipients of them in real-time with email engagement insights.
Pros of using the professional method:
- Saves time and resources, increasing productivity
- It is an easy and effective way to create, nurture and manage a mailing list
- You can automate sending personalized emails to your group contact segments and also set-up behavior based automated follow-ups.
- You get recipients behavioral data like email open, link-click and reply notification in real-time
- It makes keeping a check and staying on top of your email campaigns effortless
Cons of using the professional method:
- This functionality of the solution opens in a new browsing tab of your internet browser but its just a small pinch in return of huge efficiency and better results from your email campaigns
So, let’s get to it!
Part 1: Creating a CSV
Step 1: Go to Google Contacts
Step 2: Select the contacts you want to add to your group email or mailing list
Step 3: Click on More Actions icon
Step 4: Choose the “Export” Option
Step 5: Choose “Selected Contacts” in Export Contacts option and “Google CSV” in “Export as” option.
Step 6: Click on Export.
You will have a ready to upload CSV at the end of this part. And in case, you have contacts in a Google sheet or an excel sheet, you will have to go to the “File” menu and select “Download as CSV” option from the drop-down menu.
Now, let’s quickly go through the simple steps you need to take to create an email outreach campaign to send to this group email list.Group emails for professionals made easy! Try SalesHandy for free
Part 2: Creating a Campaign
Step 1: Signup for FREE with SalesHandy (If you don’t have an account with SalesHandy). Choose Sign in with Google option as we are doing this guide for Gmail but you can also sign up with your Outlook account.
Step 2: You will be redirected to the app dashboard. Before we move ahead with creating a campaign, go back to your mailbox and confirm your SalesHandy account from the confirmation email.
Step 3: As you have now a confirmed account with SalesHandy, go back to the dashboard and refresh the page.
Step 4: Choose Email Campaign option from the SalesHandy menu.
Step 5: Click on the “New Campaign” button.
Step 6: Name the campaign. (The name is just for your reference and won’t be visible to your recipients)
Step 7: Upload the CSV (created in part 1) in the Recipient’s section. Once you’ve uploaded the CSV if you want you can verify the email list to ensure a lower bounce rate using SalesHandy itself.
Pro Tip: If you have more than 200 contacts in your CSV then don’t forget to select “Upload more than 200 contacts” option.
Step 8: Choose an account you want to send this campaign from. (This is only applicable for people who have multiple accounts logged in with SalesHandy)
Step 9: Write a subject line, email body, and follow up emails.
Step 10: Send a test email
Step 11: Schedule the campaign according to the time zone of your recipients.
Step 12: Schedule and hit send!
You have successfully sent an email campaign to segmented recipients, creating group email lists from your Gmail contacts.
Note: If you want to resend a new email to this group again all you need to do is to create a new email campaign from SalesHandy and select this CSV of contact that you have used, frame an email and schedule at a time you wish.Send your first mail merge campaign for free – Try SalesHandy
Step 1: Go to your mailbox.
Step 2: Select Contacts from Google Apps tab.
Step 3: Select the contacts you want to add to a particular group.
Step 4: Click on the label icon.
Step 5: Choose “Create Label” from the drop-down menu.
Step 6: Name the group.
Step 7: Click on Save.
And just like that, you’ve created a mailing list in Gmail.
The final step (Sending an email to the created group): Click on compose from your Gmail inbox and type the label name in the recipients’ box. You’ll be able to see all the contacts that are in that label. Once this list is visible, type in your email and hit send.
Pros of using the google native method:
- It is free and you can outreach these group email lists directly from your Gmail inbox
Cons of using the native method:
- You do not get any behavioral data of the recipients, which are at times critical to track to ensure meaningful engagement, like email open tracking and link-click and reply notifications.
- One also cannot set-up an automated follow-up sequence of emails to the email campaign sent, which is very crucial at times to ensure a higher response rate from the email campaigns.
We have also covered how you can set-up automated follow-up emails to these group email campaigns in a previous blog which you can refer, in case you want to set these up to improve the response rate of your email campaigns or increase the productivity of internal team communication.
Next, we have shared two frequently asked questions that email users get while creating a group email in Gmail.Send group emails using SalesHandy for free!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1: Why am I not being able to see the label option in Google Contacts?
A1: Not to worry. The reason behind not being able to see the label option in Google contacts is you have an older version of Google Contacts. For the older version, you will be having a “Create Group” option where you can easily create a group email in Gmail.
Q2: How can I edit my mailing list?
A2: It’s quite simple. Just click on the contact group (label) you want to edit and click on the more option besides the contacts you want to remove and deselect or change the label according to your wish.
A mailing list or group email in Gmail can be the bliss of a feature for many small and medium-sized businesses. This feature allows you to reach out to as many people as you want without having to re-write or copy-paste the same email.
With the amount of competition in the market, every business looks for a way to utilize their resources and time in the best way possible. These features can definitely help your business boost its productivity and grow to its full potential.