The Church of God was started in Anderson, Indiana as a holiness Christiandenomination with roots in Wesleyan pietism and also in the restorationisttraditions. Founded in 1881 by Daniel Sidney Warner, the church claims many adherents spread across the globe. Initially the Church as a movement did not have formal membership since she believed that true biblical salvation, which will result in a life free from sin, makes one a member. Similarly, there was no formal creed other than the Bible. In addition, there is much official room for diversity and theological dialogue, even though the movement’s culture is strongly rooted in Wesleyan holiness theology. The founder, Warner had been a member of John Winebrenner‘s General Eldership of the Church of God, whose members were called Winebrennerians. He differed with the Winebrennerians on the doctrine of sanctification which he held to be a second definite work of grace, and on the nature of the church. The desire of Warner and the others was to forsake denominationalism and creeds. Therefore, they resolved to trust in the Holy Spiritas their guide and the Bible as their creed. His vision was that the Church of God would extend her hand in fellowship to every blood-washed one, rather than align themselves with a movement.
The Church of God in Kenya started in 1905 by Robert Wilson a South African Missionary who had a vision while in South Africa of Spreading the Word in Bunyore, Kenya. With the help of other missionaries they established a mission station in Kima, Bunyore Area of Luanda Constituency, Vihiga County. The Church has done a number of changes from the mother Church which includes official membership and a number of amendments on ordinances, and pastoral attires vis-à-vis bishopric leadership and structure in general. The Church as one of the mainline Churches in Kenya is headed by an Archbishop, The Most Rt. Rev. Dr. Byrum A. Makokha. Under the newly promulgated constitution, the Archbishop has two deputies; Deputy Archbishop in charge of administration- Rt. Rev. James Obunde, and Deputy Archbishop incharge of Guiding and Counselling- Rt. Rev. Dr. Benson Andebe. The said leader has led the Church into a number of transformation, spiritual guidance and numerical increase in congregations not only in Kenya but in East and Central Africa. Under his leadership, the Archbishop has witness massive growth of congregations from less than 100 when he took over leadership to over 1, 500 currently. With the headquarters still at Kima Mission, the Church has made tremendous steps in equipping the Church holistically. For instance, there are a number of institutions i.e schools (Primary, Secondary, and theological colleges), health facilities, vocational centers, Properties, under her name. Church of God has also produced a number of scholars and academicians. The Church of God in East Africa (Kenya) is well known as a singing church The Church has traversed a long route but against all odds, she is still strong, orderly, seasoned and live!! That is our Church- The Church of God in East Africa (Kenya).
Church of God in East Africa (Kenya) is made up of 16 Regions which are being instituted; they include
- Eldoret-Kitale- Lugari Regions– It comprises of special districts as Eldoret, Kitale, Sango, and Turkana outreach, Mautuma, Lukhuna, Chekalini, Lugari, Kiminini, Ndalu special districts.
- Emuhaya- Luanda- Kisumu Regions– comprises of Bunyore East Area, Kima Area, Ebuyiyi Special District, and Esiamayayi Special District. Mumboha Area, Ipali Area, Bunyore West Area, Embali Special District, and Essaba Special District, Kisumu Area (which encompasses Kisumu City, Kericho, Nyahera, Ahero, and Kinda Umala); and South Nyanza Special District
- Kisa- Marama- Idakho Regions– Comprising Kisa West Area, Kisa Central Area, Marama East Area, Marama West Area, Bubala Special Districts, Eshibinga Area, Mwihila Area, and Emulunya Area, Idakho North Area, Idakho South Area, Idakho Central, and Iremele Special District.
- Bungoma Region– comprising of Mupeli Area, Bungoma Town Special District, Nabuloli Area, Busia Special District, Sang’alo Area, Bukhayo Special District, Webuye Special District, and Mt. Elgon Special District.
- Kisii – TransMara Region – inclusive of Tambacha Special District, Nyamira Special District, Kisii South Area, Getembe Area, Enkora Special District, Engeti Special District, Engoto Special District, Kigwanda Special District, Maasai or Trans Mara Area.
- Nairobi -Nakuru Region– To include Kaloleni Area, Mariakani Area, Meru Special District, and Embu Special District, and Nakuru Area.
- Coast (Mombasa) Special Region– Comprising Mombasa Area and all its future Coastal Strip outreach Congregations.
- Butsotso- Kabras – Kakamega Regions– Composed of Butsotso North Area, Matioli Special District, Eshianda Special District, Kabras Special District, and Ibinzo Special District, Kakamega area and Mumias Special District
The Christian Education Ministry is headed by a director (Rev. TitusMulwale). This department aims to teach and to nature all who come to the faith, to grow to maturity. They are mandated to come up with programs suitable for junior church, youth, and adults. This is a form of disciplingthem through the word of God to a level where they can win others to Christ and disciple them. This ministry also equip believers for effective Christian living and maturity carried out at all levels. Various levels through which we teach and equip the believers include Bible Study Groups which are forced on the basis of age from 2 years to death. These levels provide an opportunity for believers to fellowship and grow together in the Word of God as they mature. The ministry department is entitled to provide materials to be studied in the entire Church of God fraternity. New materials and themes are done every year to enhance smooth flow of information hence progressive growth. It should be noted that this ministry, emphasizes so much on children programs. One day set aside (24th December) every year to celebrate our Sunday school children with a party. This is characterized by reciting memory verses, poems, skits and shot plays, and having a meal together.
This is the most vibrant, dynamic and active ministry in the church. It is under the directorship of Rev. Norman Akali, assisted by Rev. Carol Otinga. The ministry aim at building young people from 13- 35 with the right message of the Cross in order to grow in faith. The Ministry is discharged with the mandate to oversee all youth activities, forums, and issues throughout the Country with assistance from youth leaders from the regions, areas, districts and local churches. This ministry being vibrant every year they organize conventions, concerts, rallies, workshops, picnics, worship experiences, and leadership meetings to oversee the vision of reaching out for Christ.
Welcome to Church of God in East Africa (Kenya)
Our commitment is to nurture and grow our congregation in Ministry, Leadership, Community, Family and Partnership.
“Once truth is denied to human beings, it is pure illusion to try to set them free. Truth and freedom either go together hand in hand or together they perish in misery.”
Pope John Paul II- Theology of the Body.
Statement of Faith
The Church of God in East Africa (Kenya) believes in the Holy Tri- Unity of God, the Virgin birth of Jesus Christ, and the Holy Book, the Bible, as both the infallible Word of God and the final authority in all matters of sin, salvation, eternal life and socio- culturalrelationships here on earth.
The Mission Statement:
Church of God in East Africa (Kenya) exists to proclaim the Good News of the Lord Jesus Christ as commanded in the Great Commission (Matthew 28: 18- 20). This will be fulfilled through worship services, prayer meetings, home fellowships (CLCC), Biblical teachings, evangelism, discipleship, stewardship, and leadership.
Church of God in East Africa (Kenya) seeks to be a leading spiritual organisation in East and Central Africa that provides godly services to all people for the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Our team (important links)
- Deputy Arch Bishop- Guiding and Counselling- Rt. Rev. Dr. Benson Andebe
- ARCHBISHOP–THE MOST RT REV. DR. BYRUM A. MAKOKHA
- Deputy Archbishop Administrative Affairs -Rt. Rev. James Obunde
- National treasurer-Rev. Wycliffe Omusebe
- Rev. Jared Akondo- General Secretary, Administrative Co-ordinator.
- Rev. Rebeccah Litunya-Women director
- Join our teamDiscover our job positions
Connect with us
Contact us at Church of God in East Africa (Kenya)Kima HeadquartersP.O. BOX 160- 40105, MasenoEmail: email@example.com. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kima, In Luanda Constituency,
Vihiga County of Western Kenya
- 0705-671 317